In this article we will explain how to use Waze navigation app offline, what data requirements are needed for the application to work correctly on the iPhone or Android in 2022, and discuss the offline features of Waze.
Table of Contents
- Can I use Waze with no internet connection?
- How to save Waze maps for offline use
- How to download maps (directions) on Waze
- The volume of data stored
- Can I use Waze without data?
- Limitations of Waze offline maps
- Creating routes offline
- How to update Waze offline maps
- What you can save for use without internet
Waze functionality involves active use of internet for syncing data with other drivers and pedestrians, but it can also be used as an offline navigation app.
Officially, there is no way how you can save the data you need in the memory of your smartphone via this app, but its users have found a way out. This method has a number of limitations, but, nevertheless, thanks to it you can use the basic features of Waze without a network connection.
How to save Waze maps for offline use
In order to save data for future offline usage, you have to complete the following steps:
Download the latest version of Waze
1. First, you need a device connected to a Wi-Fi network and which has Waze installed on it. This step is relevant only for new routes.
2. Open Waze app on Android or iPhone;
3. Enter the address you want to build the path to.
4. If necessary, you can specify the starting point, if it's different from your current location;
5. When your route is created, tap on Go button, as if you're planning to go to the specified point right now;
6. The app calculates the best route taking into account traffic jams and other travel conditions and then saves this route to cache.
7. Now that the data is written to the app memory, you can use this saved route without an internet connection.
How to download maps (directions) on Waze
Data which was saved while your device was connected to internet will remain in the app even after you close it. Thus, you can record in Waze memory several various destination points where you need to get in the nearest future, so all of them will be saved and navigation features can be enabled when your device isn't connected to any network.
How to download waze directions (previously recorded routes):
- Open Waze app;
- Make sure that your device is disconnected from internet;
- Tap on the Search icon in order to open the list of previously specified routes;
- The search history is displayed in the tab "Favorites". In the same section you can add frequently visited places so that in the future you don't have to rebuild them;
- Now select any location to which you've already built the direction when the software was connected to a network and then launch the feature of navigation.
The volume of data stored
Mobile app Waze uses free space in your device memory only for downloading the map of a location (city or road), as well as for building a path between two points, thus the memory consumption depends on the area which you want to save.
Can I use Waze without data?
The routes themselves practically don't take up space since they're simply marked with a different color on the already loaded Waze map.
If you usually move within the same city and rarely add new routes, the amount of data stored on your device will be around 50 MB. The larger the area you want to save, the more the files in Waze cache will weigh.
You can use Waze without downloading internet data, but the app's functions will be severely limited:
- Waze app will stop receiving real-time traffic updates
- Waze will not display the maps of cities and countries that have not been downloaded to your device
In its offline mode there is no possibility to receive up-to-date information on traffic jams, as well as to sync the data received from other users of the app. All other features work in the same way as they do in online mode, provided that the map of an area has been previously downloaded.
Another significant drawback of the offline mode of Waze is its inability to switch to 3D display of a map. Even if you enable it in advance while your device is connected to an unlimited Wi-Fi network, this kind of data won't be stored in the app cache.
If there is no internet connection and you haven't previously created any route, you won't be able to build a new route to the point specified on a map via Waze app. In order to obtain reliable and up-to-date information, this navigation app requires a network connection, although what makes it different from others apps of the same kind is its correct operation even with an unstable network connection.
How to update Waze offline maps
Due to the fact that Waze actively uses data received from other users, the app is updated every time your device has access to internet. It's enough to update the map itself every 1-2 weeks, especially if you often move around densely populated districts.
The best way is to update the data on the route you need right before you go on a trip, so that the app has time and possibility to assess the travel conditions and offer your the best path which then will be saved in the search history.
Summarizing the information we've presented above, we can highlight the following key points of working with Waze in offline mode:
- The app allows you to save and use a map of an area and prebuilt routes;
- While you're moving on a chosen path with no access to internet, the data on how suitable the selected route is won't be updated. So there is no way how you can save the information on multiple path options for offline use;
While following a predetermined route, you won't be able to change the way a map is displayed. In order to work without connection to internet only 2D mode is saved, with no detailed information on the objects located along your route.
Download the best navigation apps for free
Can Waze be used offline on iPhone?
Yes, of course. The Waze mobile app is identical on Android and iOS versions. You can download Waze maps to your mobile device in advance, switch off the internet and check if the offline maps work.
You need to update your Waze navigator via your phone settings for offline functions to work correctly on iOS.
Does Waze have pre-downloaded offline maps?
No, you need to download the data to your phone yourself. See the instructions above for how to do this. In short, you need to zoom in on the map. This will allow Waze to download the data to your iPhone or Android. The maps will then be available offline.
Is Waze a 100% offline app?
No, as we wrote above most of the features only work when your phone is connected to the internet. You need wifi connection for updates and up-to-date information about what is happening on the road.
Does Waze need high speed internet connection?
You need a stable internet connection to work the app correctly and avoid errors. Mobile internet or wifi is usually sufficient for this purpose. Since Waze does not use much internet traffic (a few MB/hr), a high speed internet connection is not necessary.
However, if you want to download offline maps to the phone, check if the internet connection is stable.
Can you download offline maps on Waze?
As before, now Waze offline maps are available for free download in the US and Europe.
Offline app with maps can be downloaded from the official website on devices running under Android, iOS, BlackBerry OS and Windows Mobile platforms.
Can I modify Waze offline maps?
Every user using Waze can make various marks on a map, for example, a section of a road which is closed for a repair or a point with heavy traffic due to an accident.
Ilia is a professional writer. He has expert knowledge in GPS and cartography with 15 years of experience. Additionally, Ilia has extensive experience in data recovery on PC and mobile. He started his career as a journalist by reviewing PC and mobile apps. His current responsibilities are to keep track of users' questions on MGT and answer them.