- Published on
- Updated on
How to change the IP address on your Android phone: the best free ways
You have a specific IP address on the Internet, linked either to you or to the subnetwork you use. Every PC and phone in the subnet has the same IP (static or dynamic).
To hide your IP address, you need to use special VPN applications. In this guide, we'll look at the best ways to mask your IP.
Table of Contents
- Reasons to change or hide your IP address
- Using VPN services to change your IP address
- TunnelBear VPN
- Using proxy servers
- Using TOR
- Frequently Asked Questions
- What is IP address?
- How do I delete an IP address?
- Does the phone's IP address is changed with each new connection to the WWW?
- How can I find out the current IP address of my Android phone?
- How to make sure your IP address has changed
Reasons to change or hide your IP address
There are quite a few reasons why changing your IP address on Android can make your life easier. They include the following:
- If your real IP address is visible, you have a greater chance of becoming a victim of scammers and malware;
- Phishing sites can exploit you, offering unwanted ads and illegally exploiting your address;
- You may be able to access sites that block you due to regional restrictions.
Using VPN services to change your IP address
Using VPN services is the most common method of hiding (masking) your IP and/or changing it to another.
How do VPNs work:
- An intermediary computer is connected to your phone for the duration of the connection
- All Internet traffic goes through the server. The computer can operate in another country (this is most often the case)
- The sites that you visit from your phone, "think" that it was not you, but the computer, located at another address.
- The IP address is changed to the one provided by the VPN server.
There are thousands of VPN services and free IP addresses you can change your current IP to. We will look at a few options.
These are proven VPNs, and their functionality is partially free. However, you can't find a completely free VPN, there are always some restrictions (limited traffic, ads), but for normal browsing in disguise mode it should be enough.
ExpressVPN is reliable, very fast VPN service with flexible rates and many available IP addresses.
ExpressVPN changes your Internet address to an arbitrary IP address of the selected country, depending on the user's preferences. The free version of the VPN client contains ads and a limited number of servers.
Instructions on how to change your IP address to a location in another country:
- Go to ExpressVPN website.
- Click on the Get ExpressVPN button.
- Choose a plan (you do not need to pay - the payment is not charged immediately, but after the free trial period)
- After you register your account and subscribe, you will receive an email with your account login information.
- Click the Set Up ExpressVPN button.
- Select the platform to use ExpressVPN.
- Download the ExpressVPN app (for example, ExpressVPN for Android).
- After installing ExpressVPN, launch the app.
- Enter the authorization key that came to your email.
- Select a location: e.g. Switzerland, Sweden, USA, Germany, etc.
- Click on the large switch that will be centered on the main application screen.
- The Not connected status will change to Connected.
- As a result, your IP address will change.
Note: ExpressVPN will not charge you if after 30 days or earlier you decide to stop using it. The terms of payment says: 30-day money-back guarantee.
By the way, the author of this guide uses ExpressVPN to change the IP address. No failures or problems have occurred during the use of the service and app.
Another popular and recognized VPN service. The only serious limitation is the limited traffic in the free version (near 10 Gb). Nevertheless, TunnelBear app is great for masking your current location and assigning an arbitrary IP address.
Changing your IP address is simple enough:
- Download the TunnelBear mobile app on your phone
- Launch TunnelBear app
- Click on the button to create an account, stating your e-mail, login and password, as convenient for you.
- On the login screen, enter the data you entered earlier.
- Once you're in the app itself, there will be a toggle at the top center that you need to click.
- This will enable the secure VPN mode. Your IP address will be masked as long as the connection is active.
- On some phones, a pop-up notification may appear and you will be asked for additional access to your traffic. You must confirm the request.
- You can change the country and IP address at any time by choosing a suitable server from the list.
Note. By default, you get 10GB of secure browsing per month without any charges. You can easily increase this amount by clicking on the "Free traffic" button directly via the app.
Using proxy servers
This method of IP address masking works a bit differently than a VPN. As a result you get anonymous and secure IP address.
Attention! If you use Android, activate root rights on your phone in order to hide your IP address. You'll also have to spend time looking for working proxy servers.
There are several ways to change IP address via proxy, let's consider one of the simplest.
- Install a proxy list management app such as Blue Proxy.
- Find a list of free or paid proxy servers on the Internet.
- Open the Blue Proxy app with root.
- Fill in the "Address" line the IP server of the proxy you have chosen (usually the numbers before the colon).
- Enter the numbers after the colon at the "Port" line.
- Specify other settings if necessary.
- Tap the ON/OFF switch at the top to enable a secure connection and change the IP address.
This IP masking method has its disadvantages. Free proxy servers can be overloaded and you have to pay for paid proxy addresses accordingly.
The TOR network refers to the so-called Darknet. Data, when connected via TOR, is encrypted and transmitted between different computers located in different parts of the world.
You can use the Orbot service to access the TOR network without prior setup.
- Install Orbot app on your phone.
- Tap the VPN mode switch.
- If the connection fails *, use Bridge mode by moving the appropriate switch.
(* in case your mobile operator block TOR)
The downside of using TOR is that TOR-dependent services can be demanding on your phone's resources. Potentially, using TOR drains your battery faster.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is IP address?
IP address is a digital address of the Internet protocol, a unique number, given to all the devices when connecting to mobile Internet or wifi access point. It is necessary for identification and authorization on the web. A computer, tablet, mobile phone - any device connected to the Internet has an IP address.
How do I delete an IP address?
It is not possible to delete or refuse to assign a digital IP address when you connect to the network.
However, you can change your current IP address, and it's perfectly legal. Read how to do this in this guide above.
Does the phone's IP address is changed with each new connection to the WWW?
There is no exact answer. The DHCP protocol can change the IP address of the phone each time it makes a new connection. But it does not guarantee that your IP will change or that you will be anonymous the next time you connect to mobile network or wifi.
How can I find out the current IP address of my Android phone?
There are a lot of services for location and IP. Here is the easiest way.
- Don't change your phone's IP address.
- Go to https://whatismyipaddress.com (before you turn on any IP masking service).
- Turn on a VPN or other masking service.
- Find out your current address by refreshing the page in your browser (under My IP Address is:).
How to make sure your IP address has changed
It's easy to check if your IP address has changed:
- Open your browser and go to https://whatismyipaddress.com again (or any similar, there are many).
- Apply the proxy or VPN settings on your phone.
- See if the number displayed on the My IP Address is line has changed. Also, the line My IP Information displays information about the ISP.
- If the IP information has not changed, use other apps and services for IP masking.
Ilia is a professional writer. He has expert knowledge in GPS and cartography with 15 years of experience. Additionally, Ilia has extensive experience in data recovery on PC and mobile. He started his career as a journalist by reviewing PC and mobile apps. His current responsibilities are to keep track of users' questions on MGT and answer them.