Likely for drivers paper maps have become a thing of the past. They were replaced by a convenient modern navigation tool for cars – a simple program which requires only one thing – a phone running under Android or iOS.
Truck and car drivers can choose any navigation app from their app stores. Each of them has its own advantages and functional features. Before downloading an app, we recommend you to read a little more about it.
We've collected the best apps and created a top-list of the best 2019 navigation apps:
- Navitel Navigator (Android / iOS / Windows CE, etc.)
- Yandex Navigator (Android / iOS)
- iGo Navigation (Windows Mobile / CE, iOS, Android)
- OsmAnd Navigator (Android OS / iOS)
- Navigation devices
Navitel is a convenient navigation app for commercial vehicles and truckers which can work with no Internet access. Moreover, Navitel can provide its users with the following features and benefits:
- The app database stores maps of 66 countries which can be purchased and installed for permanent use from the manufacturer's official website.
- This software can map various routes from point A to point B, calculate the distance and approximate travelling time taking into account traffic jams.
- A map with road conditions is also available in the app. Repair works, accidents, speed cameras, etc – all of this data which is added by other users can be seen on the map in real time. Besides, you can add such data to a map yourself by sharing useful information with other road users.
- Additional features for drivers: voice prompts, language selection, on-board computer, weather forecasts, fuel prices, speed bumps and radar data.
In general, Navitel is one of the most popular apps for Android and iOS. Alongside with its mobile version, there is also auto-navigation software running under Windows CE with a pre-installed "Navitel".
Another popular GPS trucker app for Android, which is capable of mapping routes in Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Turkey and other countries.
Its main features are:
- The capability to choose one of the three route options after comparing estimated time on the road.
- Full operation in offline mode. In order to map a route without Internet connection, you have to download the map of the city you need in advance.
- Unobtrusive voice accompaniment. Voice assistant Alice gives not only directions, but also warnings against traffic jams, accidents and speed cameras. In addition to it, Alice can also answer your questions (for example, on the amount of fines, available parking lots, etc.).
- Yandex Navigator can assist you with finding a free parking space, it can remember routes and find specified objects on a city map, as well as provide information on road pavement.
You can download Yandex Navigator for trucks from Google Play via the link below.
User-independent navigation app which is very popular among truck drivers. You can download the app from Google Play via the following link.
The main advantages of iGo Navigation are:
- The app requires for installation a minimum amount of free memory allowing you to save space for photos, videos and other apps.
- Maps of more than 100 countries including the US, Mexico, Canada, Brazil, Germany, Russia and Ukraine are available for drivers.
- A huge database of places of interest which simplifies the process of searching for restaurants, cafes, monuments, museums and shopping centers.
- Additional advantages: fast route building, searching for buildings without numbers, voice prompts, information on traffic jams and road junctions.
Free app for truck owners who are in need of a detailed road map for using it without Internet access.
OsmAnd key features are as follows:
- There are offline maps of every country but you have to download it in advance.
- Three modes (for cars, bicycles and pedestrians) with voice guidance.
- Quick search for locations via the built-in OsmAnd book of reference: gas stations, cafes, hotels and the supported input of GPS coordinates.
- Mapping a route for short distances, searching for objects and needed addresses on a map via the Internet.
- The software warns against pedestrian crossings, traffic jams, turns your attention to speed limits and it can also be used by the passengers of public transport.
You can download OsmAnd navigation app from Google Play via the following link.
Convenient free navigation app for travelers, cyclists, motorists and, in particular, truck drivers. Its full functionality is available in both online and offline modes. The main advantages of Maps.me users are the following:
- Fast download of an offline map of any country for further building of a route without Internet. Which, by the way, helps to save mobile traffic.
- Regular update of maps ensures their relevance. Map details are provided by the app users when they mark various objects, including monuments and even fountains.
- The app is distributed absolutely for free. This applies not only to the functionality of Maps.me, but also to its maps (the app uses public OpenStreetMap maps) .
Navigation devices for truckers
You don't like to use mobile apps? It's not a problem since there is an alternative variant: devices which have no other features, except for the navigating one.
With a huge range of GPS navigation devices being sold, it isn't surprising that you can easily get confused by their vast variety. Some of them are quite sufficient, when others are not. There are both cheap and expensive models, and the former aren't always worse than the latter.
Prestigio GeoVision 5068 is a budget navigation device model based on Cortex with 128 MB of memory. The screen has a diagonal of 5 inches and its resolution is 800*480 mm. This fact has a positive impact on the amount of details shown on a map and the quality of images. It's unnecessary to use a stylus for the display since the sensor reacts well to the touch of a finger too.
The second distinctive feature of the device is its integration with the service which notifies users on patrol posts and installed security cameras. The presence of geolocation, of course, has increased the price, but it's fully justified. Covered countries: CIS, Finland, Georgia, Abkhazia and Azerbaijan. You can upload and delete new maps with no restrictions.
|* the optimal ratio of price and quality; * improved features compared to GeoVision older models; * good readability even with bright sun.||it can quickly starve your device battery.|
Users note that their devices work pretty fast, despite the modest characteristics of the processor (it's only 800 MHz). The navigation device can search for the right addresses and quickly load maps.
The price of Prestigio GeoVision 5068 is around $75.
Let's talk about an average device. It's equipped with an 800 MHz processor with an ARM Coretx A7 core. Its touch screen is sensitive and it immediately reacts to the taps of a finger. The manufacturer has thoroughly thought about the device multimedia features: it has a video input and transmitter. It also has an lithium-ion battery installed instead of the old lithium-polymer battery. But the capacity was left behind again: it's only 650 mA. There are the maps of Russia, Europe and Asia.
|* syncing with smartphones in order to receive the data on traffic jams from the network; * multimedia features which are perfect for its segment; * good reception of data from satellites.||weak battery|
Users enjoy the syncing with their smartphones which provides additional features. In general, taking into account its low cost (roughly $80) this navigation device can be called a decent one.
Functional navigation device running under Android 4.4. The display diagonal is 7 inches (800x480, IPS-matrix). It's easy to hit the right points of the sensor while driving, however, we'd still recommend you to set a route in advance. The software search engine works fine, the RAM is enough (512 MB) and the processor is quick (1300 MHz) with its operation capability being enough to deal with navigation issues.
The device launches fast and the battery with full capacity can work for about an hour which is quite a lot for this segment of devices. The build quality is quite high and the device body is stylish with a soft-touch coating. Since the weight of the device is very small, it can be simply mounted. Among its disadvantages are the lack of Wi-Fi module and slot for SIM-cards. The system includes an updated database of Russian cities maps.
The advantages of the device are as follows:
- quick and easy loading of maps;
- excellent GPS reception;
- outstanding technical characteristics;
- user-friendly navigation.
The Cost of GeoFox MID 702SE is about $125.
The NV-800 model is called questionable by some experts, but consumers rate it pretty high. They note that the navigation device works as its counterparts from the premium segment, but costs much less – about $45.
The screen diagonal is 5 inches and its processor is an average productive one (800 MHz). The screen resolution is low, which can cause some inconveniences. You can only work via a stylus.
At the same time the device is capable of quickly finding a GPS satellite, so we can state that the manufacturer has decided to spend less on the screen, but installed an antenna of high-class. The battery is also of an average capacity, but consider the following: not every expensive device is of 950 mAh, so it's not that bad. Maps cover the whole territory of Russia and a user can update them. Updates are downloaded pretty quickly, but you have to pay for this feature.
|* instant search for satellites; * reliability; * budget cost (currently it's one of the cheapest devices).||* low resolution resistive screen; * no possibility to use the sensor via your finger.|
Roadmax Uno (MS-5) is a top trucker navigation device based on Windows CE 6.0. It has everything a driver might need: warnings against radars, traffic jams, traffic signs and notifications on toll roads.
In order to view the basic set of maps and map a route, you'll require the licensed version of the app. The display diagonal is 5 inches with quite high resolution 800x480. There is no 3G module, but there is a USB modem port. Via Bluetooth you can download data on roads traffic jams from your smartphone. Maps are available for Russia, CIS, Baltic States and Scandinavia, so the navigation device is in high demand among the residents of and travelers from and to the mentioned countries.
|* easy-to-use interface; * stable software operation; * reasonable price; * bright display; * ultra-thin body (11mm); * it can also be used as an audio player.||* no 3G module; * quick loss of battery charge.|
Users rate the device quite high and note that sometimes it may lose the connection to the satellite, but the device can restore it quickly enough. The price is almost $70 (which isn't a lot for the premium segment).
Many drivers use navigation devices in order to get directions around a city and map routes. Meanwhile, if you download a truck navigation app on your Android phone or tablet, you can get a whole new set of benefits such as:
- well-timed update of maps and adding of new streets/ houses and other important objects;
- more detailed maps which show not only buildings/ restaurants and shops, but also pedestrian crossings, speed bumps, speed cameras and radars;
- mapping a route taking into account traffic jams, accidents or road repair works;
- capability to add your own information to the map and receive data from other users;
- full voice "communication" which is not only about giving the tips while you're on the road, but also about voice commands, answering your questions and sometimes even playing games.
It's pretty obvious that navigation apps for Android devices give drivers more freedom. Most of them have a free mode, they offer users a simple interface and continue to improve its capabilities.