There are lot of applications to monitor activity and measure walking distance available for mobile devices. These are not only pedometers, but also tracking applications, which track user's movement on the map. In addition to the accelerometer of the phone, such applications also use the data obtained from fitness wearables.
Today we will review apps that primarily analyze the walking distance. You can download them for free.
Pedometer - Step Counter
This application is mostly used to count the walking distance covered. It is easy to activate the step counter in one tap. As a result, the app will provide you with information about the number of steps, calories spent, speed of overcoming the distance and other useful data.
The main features of the Step Counter:
- Counting calories burned.
- Goals: walking distance in kilometers / per day, consumed calories.
- Voice assistant: promptly informs about important events, including the achievement of goals.
- Walking distance calculator.
- Detailed statistics for the selected period of activity.
The application can be downloaded for free, it does not have pro-functions that need to be unlocked. It will be useful for users who lead an active and healthy lifestyle.
The application has a good rating - 4.4, the reviews in most cases are positive.
Walkmeter GPS Pedometer
Developer: Abvio Inc.
Platform: Android, iOS
Apps that measure distance walked. Works not only on Android, but also on iPhone. Will be useful for travelers, hikers, cyclists, car drivers. In fact, Walkmeter turns your mobile device into an onboard computer with a variety of activity tracking features.
The main features of the Walkmeter app are:
- Synchronization with Google Maps: you can view the landscape and traffic jams.
- Using mobile device sensors to count heart rate, heartbeat, steps walked.
- Weather forecast and weather conditions on a track.
- Walkouts and goals.
- Audio assistant, notifications and announcements about the passed routes and completed goals. More than 100 announcement tasks are available.
- Improvement of existing results (if available on the selected track).
- Statistics in the form of graphs, the ability to share results with friends online.
The walking distance tracker is stable in general, but users complain about unpredictable performance on older devices. In addition, Walkmeter may be unstable when the battery level is low.
Developer: Leap Fitness Group
The peculiarity of the application - it works without using GPS. The phone accelerometer is used to measure distance walked. You can press the Start button and put the phone in your pocket - all the data will be collected via the phone.
At the same time, some functions require GPS activation. Like the applications mentioned above, you can save not only the information about the distance covered, but also the track on the map, as well as all the data related to these: heart rate, speed, etc.
Other features of the Step Counter app:
- Efficient use of your phone battery due to the accelerometer.
- The app is completely free and does not require registration.
- The app does not use the resources of your mobile device in the background, all functions are controlled manually.
- Detailed activity statistics - by week, month, day or selected period.
- User-friendly customizable interface with different design themes.
AlpineQuest Off-Road Explorer
A versatile distance tracker app for walking, application for athletes and people who love an active lifestyle: hiking, hiking, swimming and more.
To lay the routes, you can use topographic maps, which work offline - just download them to your phone as local files.
The program uses not only GPS, but also magnetic sensor, saving phone resources.
As a result of movements, a track is displayed on the map. The user can also view statistics and interactive graphs: what distance was covered, speed, heart rate, heart rate and other parameters. Some of them are available only when using a fitness tracker.
Let's note the key features of the walking distance measure app:
- Online and offline maps with good detail and the ability to switch to satellite display. The names and purpose of the objects are signed.
- Available calibration device.
- Creating routes, tracks on maps.
- Customizable map display, including colors, transparency, fonts.
- Ability to use external sd card to store terrain maps.
- Built-in barometer and compass.
AlpineQuest Off-Road Explorer app is available in free and Pro versions for Android.
Pedometer: step and calorie counter
Developer: Pacer Health
Platform: Android, iPhone
Simple free app for iOS and Android, which accurately and efficiently track walking distance, counts steps and calories. It will be useful for you if you follows on a diet or want to lose weight fast.
The Trends section provides information about your activity - what distance, in steps, has been covered, goals accomplished and time spent. Under Plan, you can set personal goals.
If the accuracy of the measurement is not satisfactory, you can calibrate the device, its sensitivity, through the settings of the Pedometer app.
Features to watch out for:
- Built-in pedometer: automatically counts the distance traveled based on the number of steps.
- GPS tracker: tracks your movement on the map.
- Synchronization with Fitbit devices.
- Constant activity monitoring, step and calorie counting.