Google Maps is an extremely popular and widely used tool with a wide range of functionality. One of its most useful features is the voice navigation which serves its users as an excellent companion and assistant during any trip.
Custom voice and accent is provided in the options of Google Map voice navigation. If you're about to go on a long journey or you're sick and tired of the standard variant, give a try to another voice provided by Google Maps app.
Changing Google Maps voice:
Table of Contents
How to change voice of assistant on Android
There are two ways of how you can change the voice navigation in Google Maps, if you want to do it on any Android device. One way is to reconfigure the voice within the app and the other is to do it via your Google profile.
You can change the assistant's voice in Google Maps app as follows:
1. Launch Google Maps on your tablet or phone by tapping on the program icon;
2. In the left corner of the app, open the main menu (three horizontal bars);
3. In the opened side menu find "Settings";
4. Next, go to "Navigation Settings";
5. Choose the "Voice Selection" section. English (GB) or English (US) languages are set by default;
6. Select the language you want or need by checking the box next to it.
The disadvantage of this method is that Google Maps has a small selection of voices, one for each language and with no choice of accents.
Let's have a look at another method of changing the voice of your Google assistant.
Configuring "Okay, Google": Android method
- In order to activate Google assistant say "OK, Google" or hold down the Home button on your tablet or phone;
- You can find a compass icon on the right side of the screen. Tap it;
- And your Google profile will open. Now you have to tap the profile picture, or, if there is none, the icon with the first letter of your name.
- In the opened tab find the "Assistant" section and then the "Assistant Voice" (or "Voice") section;
- Choose any voice you like.
In order to be able to use this method, you have to be logged into your Google account. So you can get a larger list of possible voice options than in Google Maps.
How to change voice of assistant on iPhone / iPad
Unlike Android device owners, iOS users can't change the assistant's voice within Google Maps app. However the option of the voice navigation change is also available for them:
- Open Google Assistant app on your device (if you don't have it, you should install it);
- Tap on your profile picture or on the icon with the letter of your name.
- Then go to the "Assistant" tab;
- Select the "Voice" section. Now you can mark any voice you like and it will be changed in all Google apps, including "Maps".
Note: You can change the assistant's voice at the installation stage of Google Maps: since this app isn't installed by default on iOS devices.
How to change voice of assistant on PC
Voice customization options are quite limited on PCs. This is due to the fact that users rarely use Google Maps for navigation directly from a browser. However, you can also change the language of the voice navigation via a computer.
1. Open the Google Maps website from your phone or computer browser;
2. Tap on the "Menu" button which is located on the left side of the screen.
3. In the opened tab select "Language";
4. Switch to any of the suggested languages by checking the box next to it.
With this method you can't select an accent or switch between male and female voices. Therefore, it's better to configure Google Assistant via a mobile app.
Can I change the navigation voice in Google Maps on Android?
Yes, you can do this through the settings of the Maps mobile app. However, you will need the latest version of the navigator. You need to go to Settings > Navigation Settings and select the assistant's voice.
Read more about this in our article above. You can also change the assistant's language by changing the locale through the basic Android settings.
How do I enable Morgan Freeman or Darth Vader voice through the Maps app settings?
It's not hard to do. Here are the instructions on how to set custom Google Maps voice:
- Open the Maps app.
- Tap on the profile icon and go to Settings.
- Find the Navigation settings section and tap on it.
- Under Voice selection settings, scroll through the list of options.
- Select the custom google maps voice (Morgan Freeman or Darth Vader) and test the navigation.
Can I change my voice from male to female?
At the moment, there is no such setting in the Maps app. If you wish to change the assistant's male voice to female, use another Google device - Waze. The app works on iOS and Android.
Here instructions on how to change the voice assistant to a female version.
In addition, there are different voice packs available in the app, which are easily switched through the navigator settings.
Can I use celebrity voices when navigating on Google Maps?
You can do this through the Google Assistant settings. The method is available for Android devices only. Hold down the Home button, say OK Google. Go to the settings of this app, then follow Assistant - Assistant Voice. Select the voice package that suits you.
How do I change my voice on Google Maps on iPhone (iOS)?
Changing the voice is done in the same way as on Android devices:
- Tap on the profile icon,
- Go to the Google Maps Settings,
- Find the Voice Search section,
- Through this section, change the voice on the variant that you like.
Ilia is a professional writer. He has expert knowledge in GPS and cartography with 15 years of experience. Additionally, Ilia has extensive experience in data recovery on PC and mobile. He started his career as a journalist by reviewing PC and mobile apps. His current responsibilities are to keep track of users' questions on MGT and answer them.