- Published on
- Updated on
Changing the voice of Waze app assistant. Best voice packs-2022
Waze navigation app users are going to be favourably impressed by the variants for changing the voice that the app uses to notify the driver about turns, potential dangers on the road, and other events.
A Waze user can change the assistant's voice via the main Waze settings. The first (primary) voice package is distributed for free when the other can be installed by purchasing it through the app. An additional bonus is using your own voice of the assistant. You will find how to do it below.
Table of Contents
- How to change the voice in Waze on iOS
- Assign your voice to the Waze assistant
- Voice packs of famous people
- How to download additional voice packs
- Voice settings available in Waze
- OK Waze feature
- Waze voice commands
- What are the Waze best voices?
- Can I change the voice in Waze to my own?
- How do I change the voice to Morgan Freeman?
- Can I add more voices to Waze?
- Can I use different Waze voices for different events?
- Reference information. Waze app features
How to change the voice in Waze on iOS
You can change the voice in Waze on iPhone by following these steps:
- Launch the app: tap on shortcut on your iOS device.
- After launching the app, tap on the icon with the image of a speaker.
- When you tap on the icon, a new menu will open,
- In the menu, select the General > Voice & sound option. Please note that it is contains the voice that the navigation device currently uses.
- In addition to the voice used by the Waze app, there is also a list of voices that can be selected by the user. To select the voice the user likes the most, tap on it.
- Choosing a new voice for Waze, take into account that some of the voices have a voice for the streets and avenues, and some do not.
- After the most interesting voice is selected, it should be saved.
- Go back to the map by pressing the standard "Back" button on your iPhone.
Important! Download Waze updates from time to time as the developers release new voices and sound effects quite often. For example, most recently the developer released add-ons with the voices of celebrities such as Cookie Monster, Mr. T and Liam Neeson.
Assign your voice to the Waze assistant
If you aren't a big fan of the robotic sound of Waze voices, you can record your voice or your friends or family voices.
In order to set up custom voice, follow the instructions (we're going to talk about the Android app):
- Download the latest version of Waze or update an existing one.
- Launch the Waze app on your smartphone.
- Select the speaker icon in the lower section of the app.
- Select the "Waze voice" option.
- Tap “Record new voice” at the top.
- A list of keywords appears. Select a phrase and tap the big record button in the upper display section.
- Perhaps Android will request access to your microphone, if so simply tap "Allow".
- Say the phrase you need and choose Stop.
- You can check the recording by tapping the Play button.
- Choose "Save" to save the result.
- When needed to play an audio recording, tap the blue playback icon;
- Tap "Done" and give your voice a code name (you can find it in the list with options to choose from).
- If you want to return to the map, tap the "cross" at the top right.
- In order to enable a voice pack and change voice on Waze, select it from the list in the "Sound" window.
See also: Best ways to stop Waze on a phone
Voice packs of famous people
In addition to your voice, of course, you can choose one of the already created voice packages.
You can open the list of available voices which users can add to Waze by following the "Waze Voice" link. To do this, tap the speaker icon in the lower-right corner.
The list of voice packages available for download changes from time to time, but you can always choose from a wide variety of options.
Here are some of the best voice packs:
- Zoey is a fun little girl who likes to joke, sing, have fun, and most importantly, she knows how to do it.
- Bernice - remembers the events of World War II (but does she remember how to get to the right place? One can only hope).
- Thrax - from the nightmarish depths appears a nervous voice, leading you to your fate;
- Rivka, Jean Pierre, Angelo and others.
In addition to the default voices, the navigation app offers the voices of celebrities.
- Jarvis Waze. Want to feel like the legendary Iron Man from Marvel Comics? Then choose the voice assistant Jarvis. He will talk to you and simulate the route in the voice of the legendary artificial intelligence used by Tony Stark for his costumes.
- Morgan Freeman. Connoisseurs of the American actor Morgan Freeman can use the voice of the actor in Waze. Set the voice of Freeman and you can immerse yourself in the story "Escape from Shawshank" or "March of the Penguins.
- Terry Crews. Want your navigator to navigate in the voice of the legendary Major Payne, Spoostar or the League of Monsters? Then download the voice pack of American actor Terry Crews and activate it in the program.
- Arnold Schwarzenegger. After installing this voice pack, the navigator will start giving voice comments in the voice of the legendary Terminator.
You can install Waze voices by downloading special packages from the page. We're going to highlight some of them:
|Jeremy Clarkson, James May and Richard Hammond;||Ed Helms;||Terry Crews;|
|Characters from «Star Wars»;||Stephen Colbert;||T-Pain;|
|Morgan Freeman;||Rob Gronkowski;||Arnold Schwarzenegger;|
|Kevin Hart;||Neil Patrick Harris;||Colonel Sanders;|
|Shaquille O'Neal;||Jay Leno;||Elvis Presley.|
How to download additional voice packs
- In order to download and use additional voice packs, the software user needs to go to the "Waze Voice" section present in the navigator.
- To go to the voice database, tap on the speaker icon located in the bottom right corner of the app screen.
- Tap on the icon. The user will have a packet of different voices available, including celebrities as well as interesting and unusual characters.
- Having selected one of the voice packs with voices, you need to install it to the app base and then use it as a voice accompaniment.
Voice settings available in Waze
Waze offers users three types of voice command settings on iOS and Android. Regardless of the voice command settings, you should grant Waze access to use the microphone.
To grant the app access to the device's microphone, do the following actions:
- Go to "Settings";
- Under "Settings" find "Waze"
- Allow it to use the microphone;
- Run the Waze app
- Go to Settings, tap on "Voice and Sound" > "Talk to Waze";
- Activate the "Listen for OK Waze" function;
- The app will then access the device's microphone.
OK Waze feature
The OK Waze feature accepts voice commands from the user.
You can turn it on by clicking on the microphone icon on the main page.
Another way to start OK Waze is by saying "OK Waze! After the user says "OK Waze" he can use the voice commands to navigate from one part of the city to another.
Waze voice commands
The app is capable of performing a number of special voice commands of the owner. For example, the app is capable of performing the following commands as standard on the device:
- "Home". When the user says this command, Waze will build the best route from your location to home.
- "Drive to Work." After saying this command, the navigator will build a route to the owner's place of work.
- "Take me [address]". If this command is uttered, the app will create the best route to the address requested by the users.
- "When will I get there?" After this voice command the app will sound an approximate location of arrival to the destination.
- "Show alternative route". This command will give you detailed information about the alternative route.
- "Tell about traffic jams": Waze will show you exactly where on your route the traffic jams are.
What are the Waze best voices?
Active Waze users have their own preferences. The most interesting voices are those of various actors and media personalities.
Can I change the voice in Waze to my own?
Yes, you can record the voice to use it for GPS navigation. Use the app settings and record commands using your own voice in Waze.
How do I change the voice to Morgan Freeman?
To change the Waze voice to Morgan Freeman you need to download an additional voice pack with actor sound effects and replace the standard voice with Morgan Freeman's.
Can I add more voices to Waze?
The app allows you to download, install and use a large number of voices and effects.
Can I use different Waze voices for different events?
Yes, using different voices for events is possible. However, in order for this to work you need to configure these events through Waze's main settings.
Reference information. Waze app features
Waze navigation app:
- Allows its users to map the best route taking into account traffic jams, blocked roads, weather conditions and other factors.
- Notifies on the current speed limits and any changes in traffic conditions.
- Sends real-time notifications on every accident on your road,
- the app is distributed for free.
- Requires an Internet connection, so if any interruptions or crashes occur, the given information might not be accurate.
- Waze is useful for drivers all over the world who want to move faster, safer and not spend a lot of money on it.
Ilia is a professional writer. He has expert knowledge in GPS and cartography with 15 years of experience. Additionally, Ilia has extensive experience in data recovery on PC and mobile. He started his career as a journalist by reviewing PC and mobile apps. His current responsibilities are to keep track of users' questions on MGT and answer them.