Navigation apps have become an inherent part of modern people’s lives. They allow to quickly find the needed location, map a route, explore a new city, etc. There are often other apps with navigation, different handbooks, games with augmented reality which you can find on Google Maps service.
If too many objects are displayed on a map at the same time (which might be the case when you load the maps of densely populated cities), the service can significantly slow down its operation and as a result, it's quite challenging to find the information you need.
Since Google Maps are available in browsers and on mobile devices running under Android iOS, in this article we're going to explain in detail how to solve the problem of the app lagging on the specified platforms.
Accelerating Google Maps:
Accelerating Google Maps on Android
Slow loading of the Maps via a browser on Android can be caused by the following problems:
1. The software installed on your smartphone is outdated.
How to fix it
- Go to Play Market,
- Tap the three-bar icon in the upper left corner and select "My apps and games".
- Scroll down the opened list till you see the "Maps" app and tap "Update". (see also: how to update apps on your phone).
2. Too much data is stored in the app cache.
Every time you open a map, build a route or view any locations, all this data is automatically stored in the memory of your smartphone. Overloaded cache can cause the slow running of the program.
How to fix it
In order to clear the cache, you have to:
- Go to your Android settings and select "All apps",
- Select the app from the list (it's easier to use the search bar at the top of the screen),
- Tap "Clear" and then "Clear cache".
You can also use the service browser version instead of the mobile app. But this option is pretty inconvenient and we find it suitable only in rare cases.
Fixing the iOS version of Google Maps app
The problem with the slow loading of the Maps on Apple smartphones is usually also caused by either the absence of the latest update or the overloaded memory of your smartphone due to the excessive amount of cache.
How to fix it
In order to update the navigation app on iPhone / iPad, you have to:
- Go to the official App Store.
- In the lower right corner of the screen find the "Update all" button.
- Wait until all the programs and games installed on your smartphone are updated.
- Relaunch Google Maps.
If it doesn't work, clear the cache on your phone. In order to do this you have to:
- Open the official Google Maps app on your smartphone.
- Open the menu via the three-bar icon and select "About the app".
- Tap "Clear data".
- Confirm your actions by choosing "OK".
Keep in mind that clearing cache will remove all data stored by the app, including previously built routes, fragments of downloaded maps (which you can view offline), search inquiries and tips.
When you start the program for the first time (after deleting its cache data), you will have to wait for some time until the needed data is reloaded into your device memory.
Accelerating Google Maps in a browser (the manual for a PC)
Google Maps usability is undeniable since they are available on almost all gadgets, including personal computers via a browser. But even owners of powerful PCs can face the issue of the app loading too slowly.
The problem is rarely related to the speed of your Internet connection. It usually occurs when a map size is too large, as well as when objects are displayed in too much detail after you zoom in an area.
How to fix it
You can tackle the issue by activating the lite version of the app in your browser. This version is designed specifically for weak PCs and browsers which can't support the app full functionality. In order to enable it you have to:
- Open the browser you use.
- In the address bar enter www.google.com/maps/?force=lite instead of the standard link.
- You will be automatically transited to the Lite version of the Google Maps service which loads faster.
- After the mode is enabled you will see the lightning icon by tapping which you can automatically switch to the full version with all its features.
Slow running of the Maps can also be caused by the following facts:
- Problems with your browser. Simple restart of the program often helps. In addition, you can check for the latest version of the browser on its manufacturer website.
- Outdated operating system. We recommend to allow your computer to download and install the latest Windows updates (you can enable this feature via "Update Center").
- Your computer doesn't have the latest version of DirectX. This software speeds up the processing of graphic objects. It's quite possible that the latest version of DirectX will help the Maps load much faster.
If the mentioned above methods don't solve the problem and the app continues to load slowly regardless of the speed of the Internet connection you have, you can report on the issue directly to the Google Maps support via the link https://support.google.com/maps/community/?hl=en&gpf=%23!forum%2Fmaps.