Getting ready to travel and don't know what to bring on the plane to kill time? In such situations, of course, a cell phone comes in handy. You can listen to music, look at photos over several years. All this is fine, but what if you want to watch a movie? In addition, the timing is ideal: 1, 5 - 2 hours, this is just the average duration of the flight.
There are several options for copying a movie to your phone to watch it offline (ie without having the Internet) on the airplane. We will consider them, and you choose your preferred option.
Table of Contents
1. Copying film to Gallery, sd card or device memory
The easiest option. If you have AVI, MPG, MP4, etc. movies in your media library, copy the files to the device memory and watch the movie through any player.
- Connect your phone to your PC or laptop.
- Through a file manager, copy the file to your device, for example, to the DCIM or Downloads folder.
- After copying, safely disconnect the cable (making sure the movie is copied).
- Option: Install VLC video player for a comfortable viewing of supported file formats.
- Open the movie via Gallery or Android file manager.
This way, you will be able to watch any movie by switching to "On Airplane" mode. You won't need wi-fi or mobile Internet.
2. Viewing saved videos on Youtube
Although it's hard to find feature film in the public domain on Youtube, it's a great platform for viewing video content. This can include documentaries, instructional videos, and interviews.
To watch YouTube on an airplane, you need a Premium subscription. It costs about $10 a month. Once you pay, you'll be able to save videos for offline viewing. Let's figure out how it works.
- Download Youtube app if it's not already installed on your Android.
- Make sure you are logged into your account with a Premium subscription (the sign is displayed near the logo).
- Open the video you want to watch on the plane.
- Select the Download option from the menu.
- Repeat the process for the other videos you plan to watch.
- To watch movies on a plane, go to Saved (Downloaded content) and play the video without the Internet.
Disadvantages of the method of downloading a movie:
- This method will not work on the free version of the Youtube app,
- Also, you will not be able to watch videos on your laptop rather than on your phone.
3. Watching movies through the app
If you have a subscription to online movie theaters, be sure to check if there is no option to download movies through the mobile app. For example, Netflix app offers such a service for a long time.
True, it is not possible to save to your device and watch on the flight any film that interests you. This is due to the various requirements of copyright holders. So, here's how to prepare a film for viewing on a plane, or simply offline:
- Download Netflix app on your mobile device.
- Go to the page with the movie or other video.
- Find the Download button and tap on it. If there is no such option, it means the movie is not available for downloading.
- Go to the download section: all the downloaded movies will be collected in this tab, and you can watch them calmly and comfortably on the plane.
This method of offline viewing is convenient and works with most online services that take care of their customers. This includes Amazon Prime, and Apple TV.
Not all online cinemas can offer airplane mode, but things change over time for the better for the end user.
4. Amazon Prime Video app
Have a subscription to Amazon Prime Video? Great! Using the mobile app, you'll be able to download a movie to your device and watch it on plane. There's also a Mac and Windows version of the app, so offline content will also be available via your laptop.
How to watch a movie on an airplane through the Amazon Video app:
- Subscribe to Amazon Prime.
- Download the Amazon Prime Video app and launch it.
- Log into your Amazon account from the device where you plan to watch movies.
- Select the movie you want to download or an individual episode of the show.
- Select the video quality - low, medium, or high.
- Tap the Download button and wait for the download to complete.
- Go to the Downloads section of the app.
- Tap the play button.
Note that not all movies are available for for flight or / and offline viewing. Also, some movies are not available in various countries.
5. Saving movies via Google Play
This method of watching on a plane is suitable for Android and iOS devices (iPad, iPhone, respectively). Google Play allows its subscribers to save videos from one account on up to 5 different devices.
At the same time, this rule does not apply to rented videos, and you can watch offline videos on just one device. However, if you delete a video on one device, you can freely download it on another device.
To download a video for viewing on an airplane, you can do the following:
- Connect your device to the Internet.
- Go to your Google account through the Google Play Movies & TV app or at the link. Open the Library section.
- Find the movie you want to watch offline.
- Tap the Download button and wait for the process to finish.
- Being offline, open Google Play Movies & TV and start watching the movie.
Ilia is a professional writer. He has expert knowledge in GPS and cartography with 15 years of experience. Additionally, Ilia has extensive experience in data recovery on PC and mobile. He started his career as a journalist by reviewing PC and mobile apps. His current responsibilities are to keep track of users' questions on MGT and answer them.