- Published on
- Updated on
No sound on iPhone: top ways to fix Waze
Table of Contents
- Video instructions
- Method 1. Check the sound settings
- Method 2. Driving, Do Not Disturb or Battery Saving Mode
- Method 3. Headphone or headset connected to phone
- Method 4. Incorrect sound settings in Waze
- Method 5. Change the volume in Waze
- Method 6. OS doesn't work properly
- Method 7. Turning on voice directions
- How to get Waze to talk on iPhone
- Why does Waze stop talking on my iPhone?
- Why does Waze not sync with CarPlay?
- Waze volume too low - how do I turn up the volume?
- Where on the iPhone are the voice navigation settings
Many Reddit users are experiencing sound problems with Waze. To fix this issue, I've written this guide. I've compiled the most common reasons why the app loses sound, the sound level is not sufficient, or the Waze assistant doesn't work.
<YouTube youTubeId="IX-06WHRA_I" />
Method 1. Check the sound settings
Mobile phones have the ability to adjust the volume for different apps individually. If your phone plays a sound while watching a movie, but the sound doesn't work while navigating, just set the sound separately for the Waze app:
The first way:
- You can see the different volume sliders if you hold down the sound adjustment key,
- To the right of the general volume slider use the "down" arrow.
The second way to adjust the sound on Android:
- Go to "Settings".
- Under "Sounds and vibration", select "Volume".
Four sliders will be displayed:
- Ringtone - the volume at which your device receives a call;
- Media - games, music, and video files;
- Notifications - text messages, app notifications;
- System - keyboard volume, key press volume.
3. If you notice that one of the sliders is off, this may be the problem. Try turning on the sound for notifications. If the problem persists, go to the next step.
Method 2. Driving, Do Not Disturb or Battery Saving Mode
These audio modes work differently on different phones, but in most cases "do not disturb" and "driving" mute the sound of incoming calls and notifications while the navigator is working.
The problem is that power saving mode turns off all the sounds on the phone, except for incoming calls.
In "medium power saving" mode the user can still listen to music, but in "maximum power saving" mode the phone turns off almost all functions, except for calls, to keep the battery charged.
Therefore, if the Waze navigator is running silent, the user should ensure that all of these modes are off before proceeding to check the following items.
Method 3. Headphone or headset connected to phone
Sound issues are especially relevant to devices with an interactive case, or devices to which headphones are connected to a Bluetooth or charging jack rather than a micro jack.
If there is no sound in the Waze app, try:
- Disconnect all devices (including those connected via wifi and bluetooth),
- Remove the case and check again.
- If the sound plays - the problem is probably initiated by one of the connected devices.
Method 4. Incorrect sound settings in Waze
Often the absence of voice prompts can be explained simply: the sound is disabled via the Waze app settings. In addition, the notifications will also not work.
You can fix it via Waze general settings:
- Launch Waze
- Tap speaker icon
- Select the sound mode that suits you:
- Silent mode - the sound is muted in Waze
- Important - The most important events are announced.
- Select "Sound On" to make sound available for all notifications.
- Return back to the navigation screen.
Method 5. Change the volume in Waze
The Waze app has separate volume adjustments. To change the volume, follow the steps below:
- Tap My Waze button
- Select Settings
- Tap Voice and Sound
- Move the slider to increase or decrease the volume
- Return to the main screen and check the changes
Method 6. OS doesn't work properly
If the above methods do not help to fix the sound in the Waze navigator, resetting the settings will help. This is a drastic, but effective measure to solve software errors in both iOS and Android.
Before resetting the settings, save all the necessary files to the cloud or SD card, and then follow the instructions:
- Go to Settings;
- Select the "General settings" section. Some devices don't have one, so go to the next step;
- Tap the "Reset" or "Archive" button.
- Select the data demand option you want.
- After this the device will reboot, all the data will be deleted and the settings will be reset.
If the lack of sound in Waze is due to the OS not working properly, the sound will be restored.
Method 7. Turning on voice directions
If the voice assistant is not working (Waze not speaking directions), the voice directions feature will not be available. To turn on the feature, you need to check the appropriate settings. This can be done as follows:
- Run Waze app.
- Tap on My Waze icon, in the appeared menu select Settings.
- Navigate to the Voice & Sound settings.
- Pay attention to the Sounds option, it has to be enabled.
- Increase the volume on your mobile device by pressing the Volume up button if needed.
Also make sure that the Waze app has the necessary permissions in Android. To do this:
- Open Settings through the home screen.
- Go to App permissions by using a search bar.
- Allow the Waze app access to the microphone.
- Restart Waze if it has been launched.
- Restart your iPhone to finish the process.
How to get Waze to talk on iPhone
From time to time the voice navigation in Waze stops working, although the connection to the GPS satellites is established. On Android and iOS the symptoms are identical:
- The navigation app does not voice how many miles are left to the next turn,
- No notifications on route changes,
- No information about the situation on the road.
If this error occurs with Waze, try the following method of correction:
- Stop the navigation using the Stop button.
- Restart the app.
- Create a new route with the final destination.
These steps allow you to restart voice navigation in Waze.
Why does Waze stop talking on my iPhone?
This could happen if you accidentally mute the sound through the Waze app settings or through the iOS sound settings themselves. To fix this, you can do the following:
- Go to the Waze Settings.
- Locate the Mute button and tap on it.
- Next, create a route.
- Check if Waze voice navigation is working.
Why does Waze not sync with CarPlay?
There are 2 ways to fix it:
- Force open and close Waze on iOS, then restart CarPlay to check navigator status.
- Go to the CarPlay home screen, then tap the voice command button. Then launch the Waze app.
Waze volume too low - how do I turn up the volume?
Quiet volume may be due to iOS or Waze settings. This can be fixed in the following way:
- Go to Settings (the menu button is at the bottom of the Waze screen).
- Locate the Sound section and move the volume slider to the right.
Where on the iPhone are the voice navigation settings
- Go to Settings
- Then select Maps > Navigation & Guidance
Using these settings, you can control the voice navigation settings on your iOS device. If necessary, you can pause or start voice navigation by moving the slider to the left or right, respectively.
The volume settings in iOS are located under Settings > Sounds. The volume is adjusted in the same way.
Where in the Waze app is the volume button located?
- Open the Waze app and look at the top left corner.
- To turn the sound on or off, tap on the blue button with the speaker icon.
Ilia is a professional writer. He has expert knowledge in GPS and cartography with 15 years of experience. Additionally, Ilia has extensive experience in data recovery on PC and mobile. He started his career as a journalist by reviewing PC and mobile apps. His current responsibilities are to keep track of users' questions on MGT and answer them.