Table of Contents
Why do you need to know the date of capture on Google Maps
Often there is a need to know when a location was captured on Google Maps. This may be necessary:
- for statistics,
- for: statistics, timeline,
- to search for information about a specific location.
Is it possible to find out the specific date of capture?
The short answer is yes, you can. Almost all open spaces on our planet are already fixed on Google Maps, but not everywhere high detail is available: so, you will not see inscriptions, small objects, unpopular streets.
Since Google Maps and Google Earth store images of our planet in high resolution, it is often still possible to zoom in on the house on the map, to see the details. But it is important to check whether the data are up to date: it is possible that for some time everything has changed dramatically, and the building or street is no longer in reality.
Fortunately, with Google Maps and Google Earth, you can check the date and time when the photo was taken. This is the time when the aerial photo was taken or the Google Street View vehicle took the photo on the street.
Ways to see the date a photo was taken
Not all Google Maps features are directly available in the web app or mobile version of the service. Therefore, the best proven option is to use the program Google Earth for PC or the web version of Google Earth instead. The program allows you not only to view aerial images in a convenient format, but also to find out the dates of the survey of the active part of the map.
So, let's show you how to find out the desired date of shooting:
- Download the program Google Earth, if necessary. There are versions for PC and Mac OS. But the web version is best - https://www.google.com/earth/versions/
- Through the search, find the city, street and house, for a reference point.
- The larger the object, the greater the chance of knowing the specific date. Therefore, it is advisable to zoom in on the area on the map at the maximum scale.
- Put the mouse cursor on the map and look in the status bar.
- In the status bar will be available information about the date of creation of the image.
- If no date is specified, try to perform the same operation with the adjacent parts of the map.
How to find the date of capture using Street View images
It is no secret that in some countries Google Street View cars take pictures of the surrounding streets. Accordingly, if you are lucky and the googlemobile has not bypassed your locations, you can find out the shooting time of a particular house or street.
- Go to maps.google.com
- Specify the street and, if necessary, the house number in the search box
- Move the yellow icon (Pegman) to the area for which you want to activate street view.
- The time of shooting will be indicated (the same as in the case of Google Earth) in the status bar.
- Note, however, that Street View does not show the exact time of capture, but only the month and year. That's not a bad thing in most cases.
So, if it is important for you to know the chronology of map changes and the date and time of the photo, use Google Earth or, less preferably (but also possible), Street View. Both tools use Google Maps to show maps and search for information about the photo.
Ilia is a professional writer. He has expert knowledge in GPS and cartography with 15 years of experience. Additionally, Ilia has extensive experience in data recovery on PC and mobile. He started his career as a journalist by reviewing PC and mobile apps. His current responsibilities are to keep track of users' questions on MGT and answer them.