How to remove an item from your Google Maps history on Android and iOS. How to pause the recording of your location history. How to clear Google Maps search history on a PC. Erasing cache via CCleaner.
Table of Contents
- How to remove an item from Google Maps history on Android
- How to automatically clear your Google Maps search history
- How to clear your Google Maps search history on iOS
- How to clear the whole history of Google Maps app
- Pausing the recording of Google Maps location history
- How to delete places from your PC search history
- Clearing cache via CCleaner
Quite often Google Maps are used to check places or addresses which are likely to become a once in a lifetime destination so there is no point to save them in the app search history. Such kind of data overloads cache which together with cookies can cause a drop of your device operating speed. Luckily enough, Google Maps provides the possibility to clear your search queries and specified locations history. Actually you can disable the history feature in case you don't need it at all. In this review, we're going to share with you how to erase your search history in Google Maps.
You can select the items you want to get rid of by viewing your search history. In order to access the history on an Android device you have to:
1. Launch Google Maps app and log in to your account.
2. Tap Menu, select Settings and Map History.
You can go through the whole list of your search queries there. In order to read detailed information on a completed action open Details.
3. If you want to delete an item, select it, open the drop-down menu and tap Delete. In the opened window confirm your action.
4. You can clear the search history within a specific date range. In order to do this, tap Menu at the top of the screen and select Delete action.
The deleted search object or specific action will no longer be displayed when you enter a new query in Google Maps. If you delete a route or navigation item, the app will stop offering it as a location hint. The rest of the search elements, including identical ones, will remain unchanged.
You can enable automatic deletion of your history via the app settings. In order to do this you have to:
1. Launch Google Maps, open Menu and select Settings.
2. Go to Map History, tap Menu in the upper right corner of the screen and select Choose to delete automatically.
3. Here you can set the time interval for saving the search history - within 3 to 18 months. In order to confirm the change of the settings tap Next.
4. History items that aren't made during the specified period will be deleted automatically on a daily basis.
The algorithm is quite similar to the one used for Android OS:
Launch Google Maps on your iPhone or iPad.
Open Menu by tapping the symbol looking like 3 folded lines.
Select Settings and Map History.
You can see X next to each search item. By tapping it, you can delete this object.
In order to confirm your action tap Delete in the opened window.
Those who need to clear their downloaded maps and cache data, as well as the reset of cookies will find this feature incredibly useful. Moreover, you can save your search history and set destinations. You can do this as follows:
- Log in to Google Maps and open Menu.
- Open Settings and then Conditions and Privacy.
- Choose Clear the app data.
- Confirm your action by tapping OK.
An alternative choice to automatic deletion of the objects from your history after a specified period of time is to pause their recording. In order to enable this feature you have to:
1. Launch Google Maps and open the timeline by swiping your finger from the left edge.
2. Enter Menu and select About, terms & privacy.
3. After scrolling down find Location History.
4. Disable history recording by moving the slider to the corresponding position.
This action won't affect the operation of the location service. Every time the app requests access to your location data is transmitted regardless whether the settings of history recording are enabled.
The feature Google Maps history deletion is also available on desktops. In order to delete search items you have to:
- Open Google Maps on your PC and log in to your account.
- Enter Menu and open Queries in Google Maps.
- Click More on the right and select Delete actions within a certain period.
- There you can delete the history within a specific time period by specifying its range in Delete by date. In order to erase the history completely enable All-time range in Delete by date.
- Confirm your action by tapping OK.
Many Windows owners are familiar with CCleaner which is designed for clearing computers memory from various kinds of unnecessary data: cookies, application cache, temporary files and so on. There is a version of CCleaner for Android as well. This software doesn't take up a lot of space, it works efficiently and quickly can also be downloaded for free.
The CCleaner app can be used for deletion the history and cache of Google Maps too. It has the Analyze and Clear feature via which you can select the items you want to scan and clean. In order to add an item to the list for scanning just tap on the item. Apps cache is scanned and erased in a mandatory manner.
Ilia is a professional writer. He has expert knowledge in GPS and cartography with 15 years of experience. Additionally, Ilia has extensive experience in data recovery on PC and mobile. He started his career as a journalist by reviewing PC and mobile apps. His current responsibilities are to keep track of users' questions on MGT and answer them.