Manual on how to transfer photos from Gallery from your old Android phone to your new one
"I bought a new Android phone. Now I need to transfer ALL photos from one Gallery to a new one. How can this be done if the memory card is not supported? Can I do it without apps, using standard methods?"
Table of Contents
Old phone - PC - new phone
For this photo transfer method, you need:
- USB cable,
- PC or laptop,
- Both phones (to send files and receive them).
This way of transferring photos from one Android Gallery to the new one is a way out. Especially when there is no Internet connection (and no possibility to use cloud services), and you need to transfer photos to the new device.
How to do it:
- Connect phone to PC (via USB)
- The computer will detect the phone as an external storage device.
- Set phone to Transferring files - this option appears on screen when you connect a phone to the PC.
- Copy files to your hard drive, or just open the folder with your media files.
- Choose the desired option - open the folder or copy everything at once.
- If autorun is not set up, search manually - in My Computer there is a list of all external devices. Double click on a phone name.
- In the DCIM - Camera folder the photos taken through the phone camera are stored.
- Save the desired photos to the PC, using the command Copy in the context menu.
- Connect the second phone and copy the photos to it.
- The new photos will automatically appear in the Gallery.
- the method requires more time than wireless one
- no need for third-party apps to use
- 100% success
Using SD card and card reader
If you have an sd card (flash drive), a card reader and OTG adapter, try this file transfer method. It is useful if your phone itself doesn't have an sd card slot or / and you can't connect the USB cable to your computer.
Step 1: Connect the USB flash drive to the card reader
Step 2: Connect the card reader via USB to your phone
Step 3. Open File Explorer (or any file manager) and go to the DCIM folder on your phone
Step 4: Copy files to flash drive or sd card
Step 5: Disconnect the card reader from your phone and connect it to another device.
Step 6: Copy the files through File Explorer to your phone
- Reliable way to transfer any files
- It requires card reader and OTG support by device
Best apps for transferring photos from Android to Android
Dropbox cloud storage
Cloud storage becomes the most convenient and fastest way if you plan to transfer many photos at once. Here are step-by-step instructions on how to transfer photos from Android to Android:
- Install Dropbox on your phone via Google Play.
- Sign in via your Google account or register using email.
- Give the permissions to copy photo and video files to the phone memory.
- Upload photos to the Dropbox cloud.
To transfer a photo to another person's phone, you don't have to send them the file. Just share a photo and send him / her a link.
- The recipient will open the photo and download it to a device if necessary.
Google Photos (syncing)
Google Photos is a cloud storage where users can store their photo catalog. The app can be pre-installed on your phone. Conveniently, the photo storage can be accessed from a computer or another phone by entering the Google account credentials.
How to sync photos from one phone to another:
- Install the Google Photos app through Google Play.
- Open the app.
- Set the quality of the photo to save it. The most reasonable option - "Original", so photos will not lose quality due to compression. Google has enough space for free storage - 15 GB. You can increase the size of the cloud any moment.
- Enable auto-saving.
From this moment, all the photos will be saved in one place. A new picture will take from several seconds to several minutes to upload to the cloud.
You can also upload an image by yourself:
- Choose a photo.
- Tap the "Send" button.
- Choose the Google Photos option from the list.
If your phone had to be replaced with a new one, all the photos will still remain in the Google Photos cloud. You can open photos on any device, as long as you have access to your Google account and a Google Photos account set up.
To transfer photos from your old phone to new one:
- Open the Google Photos app on your new device.
- Select a photo.
- From the upper right corner, tap the Menu button.
- Select "Download."
The photo will be downloaded to the memory of the phone. You can see all the exported files through the Gallery. In this way, you can save the photo on your new phone.
To send the photo to a friend, just share the link to the file.
The new app from Touchbyte works on different devices. It is suitable for Android and iOS, Windows PC and Mac.With the app, you can transfer photos between phones, computers, tablets.
- Photosync must be installed on both devices.
- The devices must be connected via Bluetooth or a shared WI-FI network.
How to use Photosync on Android:
- Download PhotoSync - Transfer Photos app from Google Play.
- Open PhotoSync.
- Allow the app to access your media files.
- All photos from your phone will be automatically copied to the cloud.
- Access the service from another device and save photos from the cloud.
- Quick way to move photos to the cloud,
- Nice user interface design.
- Synchronization and automatic copying of new photos is paid (7-day free trial period)
Wondershare MobileTrans is an app for backuping and transferring files between phones. The utility is convenient and fast to use. In one click you can perform the necessary action with your data.
The app is designed to transfer photos from one phone to another. You can transfer data between devices with different operating systems. This is a great advantage when the user has decided to change their phone to a new one (iOS or Android based).
Pros of this app:
- Sharing messages, contacts and call history
- Downloading files via USB cable or wirelessly
An additional pros of MobileTrans is photo archive backup. You can delete all the data from the phone, bringing it to the original state of the new phone. This is a useful feature for those who are going to sell the phone.
Telegram Saved messages
Telegram messenger is a good alternative to transfer photos. In addition to the standard Sharing feature, you can send photos to yourself thanks to the "Saved messages" function.
To send photos to the cloud:
- Install and open the Telegram app on your phone.
- Open the menu, Select "Saved messages"
- The Saved messages chat will open, the contents of which are not visible to anyone except the owner.
Saved messages is your personal space where you can save photos and upload them directly from one phone to another. Just like cloud storage, Telegram will save all the files you've added to your Saved messages. When you need to switch phones, just log in to your Telegram account and save the photos.
Transferring data via Bluetooth
Another “oldschool” way to help transfer data from phone to phone offline is through Bluetooth. It has the same disadvantages as transferring via PC - slowness. Also, you need both phones to be close to each other.
How to do transfer photos to another device:
- Open the Quick settings bar on your phone (pull your finger across the screen from top to bottom to open the Settings).
- Tap the Bluetooth icon to activate it.
- Select a photo from the Gallery, tap to transfer the file.
- From the list of transfer methods, select Bluetooth.
- Select the device to which you want to transfer.
- Tap Send.
The other phone must also have Bluetooth enabled. Confirm the reception of the photo in the window that opens, and only then will the file start downloading to your phone.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I transfer photos from Android to iPhone?
It is easier to do this via Dropbox or any cloud - for example, Google Drive or OneDrive, as far as capacity of the cloud storage allows you. All other methods will be much slower.
How much sense is it to use MacDroid for transferring photos from Android to Android?
It makes sense if the other options don't work. The thing is that MacDroid or other commercial software works in read only mode and are essentially useless without a paid subscription. If you only need to transfer photos to a new device once, it's hardly worth paying a subscription or even using the trial period.
If my phone doesn't work, can I copy photos from it?
This is only possible if the phone has a separate sd card, which you can get and through a card reader, built-in or external, to copy the contents of the sd card. If the photos were stored in the internal memory of the phone, you will not be able to access the data on a broken device.
Ilia is a professional writer. He has expert knowledge in GPS and cartography with 15 years of experience. Additionally, Ilia has extensive experience in data recovery on PC and mobile. He started his career as a journalist by reviewing PC and mobile apps. His current responsibilities are to keep track of users' questions on MGT and answer them.