Cell phone can be used as a useful tool in the full sense of the word: in particular, by installing a special application, you can measure the volume, length or width of an object, a small object - both at close and far distances. About such applications that replace the ruler, we will talk further. You can download the apps from the link in the title or below the description.
The list of applications:
Table of Contents
GPS Field Area Measurement
The app allows you to easily measure distance, area, or just determine the coordinates of a desired point. The first time you run it, it will ask for access to your geodata to download a map of the area you are in. Then you can either highlight the desired section of road or area directly on the map, or turn on your GPS tracker and walk - the app will measure all the distance you've traveled, or the area you've walked around.
- Very easy to use - the interface is intuitive, it takes literally a couple of minutes to figure out all the features.
- You can select points directly on the map, even without knowing the exact coordinates or just pass the desired distance with the phone in hand.
- The app relies on accurate data from Google and Yandex maps.
- There are small inconsistencies in the maps caused by problems in the original data. But this can usually be resolved by simply checking the information on another map.
- Not suitable for measuring small distances - for example, in a room or an apartment.
- Many features are only available with a paid subscription.
The standard ruler on your phone. The app supports working with inches and centimeters and gives values with millimeter accuracy. The main screen looks like the usual ruler. You need to bring it to the object you are going to measure and set special icons near the beginning and the end of the object. The app will immediately calculate the length.
- Data accuracy to the millimeter.
- Simple and clear scheme of work - like a normal ruler.
- Different units of measurement.
- The length of the ruler is limited to the length of your phone, so you can not measure large objects.
- A lot of intrusive advertising in the free version of the application.
- Large size - takes up a lot of space on the phone, although, in fact, it is an ordinary virtual tape measure.
Line: Smart Ruler
Handy tape measure on Android for measuring small distances. The functionality here is a bit broader than the last app. First, you can calibrate the ruler to get more accurate data. Secondly, by switching the screen, you can measure a distance several times the length of your smartphone. Third, the data is even more accurate - down to a tenth of a millimeter. Inches, by the way, are also supported. Both units are displayed on the screen in the corner, regardless of which one is selected as the main unit.
- Handy built-in length converter from centimeters to inches and vice versa.
- High measurement accuracy.
- Easy and clear interface, does not require additional time to get to grips with the functionality.
- The length of the ruler allows you to measure only relatively small objects.
- You cannot move the beginning of the ruler to put a small object right in the center of the screen when measuring.
- Relatively long app loading time and the presence of ads.
AR Plan 3D Ruler
A ruler using augmented reality to measure a room.
Allows you to measure distances not only in two-dimensional, but also in three-dimensional, building a virtual plan of the room. The use of augmented reality technology makes the process faster and more convenient, and also allows you to save all the data obtained in cloud storage.
- Makes measurements quickly, conveniently and quite accurately.
- Replaces expensive devices like rangefinder - judging by reviews, the accuracy of the data is not too different.
- Equipped with a working construction level.
- To use the full functionality of the program, you will have to buy a paid version.
- Measurements are only possible in rooms without furniture - otherwise the application will be confusing.
- The interface is a little more complicated - the first time you will have to spend some time to understand it.
Another ruler in cm and inches, adapted for very precise measurements up to a hundredth of a millimeter. Quick calibration - for example by using a plastic card which has already been dimensioned in the program. Suitable for precise measurement of small objects such as jewelry or screws. The measurement range is limited by the screen size of your device. The app is frequently updated - it has new and interesting features and the data becomes even more accurate.
- A large number of templates that make measurements even easier and faster.
- Very high measurement accuracy.
- Easily and accurately calibrated to the items at hand.
- The ruler moves slowly, which can get on your nerves.
- Because of the small millimeter pattern in the background, readability may seem poor - it is difficult to distinguish values.
- Some points may not be clear from the start - you will have to spend time to understand all the functions of the application.
An app for measuring objects with augmented reality functionality.
Allows you to quickly and easily measure the distance, length, width and height of an object using the camera on your phone. Supports measurement in meters, centimeters and millimeters as well as inches.
Also suitable for measuring area, perimeter, volume and even angles. There is also a standard ruler function in the app, which allows you to measure the length of small objects. The results are only approximate, however, in many life situations this accuracy is quite enough.
- Quite high measurement accuracy.
- The measurements are taken from any place in the room - there is no need to walk or climb anywhere, you just need to deploy the camera correctly.
- The application provides a lot of possibilities for measurements in one program. In addition, all results can be stored in the cloud so that they are always at your fingertips.
- Many features of the app are only available in the non-priced paid version.
- Provides only approximate measurement results. Good for size estimation, but do not rely on the data as the final one.
- Rather complicated interface - before the application can be used correctly, you will need to understand and get used to the peculiarities of the interface.
Ilia is a professional writer. He has expert knowledge in GPS and cartography with 15 years of experience. Additionally, Ilia has extensive experience in data recovery on PC and mobile. He started his career as a journalist by reviewing PC and mobile apps. His current responsibilities are to keep track of users' questions on MGT and answer them.