- Published on
- Updated on
Measuring distance between points on Google Maps via Ruler tool
In this step-by-step guide, we'll look at how to calculate distance between two or more locations on Google Maps whether. You can do it through the browser on your PC, on a phone, either Android or iPhone.
Table of Contents
There are situations when it is necessary to measure the distance between cities, streets, houses and other objects quickly and accurately. Fortunately, Google Maps service has such a feature!
The mobile app Google Maps is often used to make simple and complex routes between points. This function (called "ruler") is useful for travelers, cyclists, and pedestrians alike.
Despite the fact that it is a cross-platform service, measuring distance functions differently whether you are using a PC or a phone.
Measuring distance on Google Maps via PC
Open Google Maps service through your browser - https://www.google.com/maps. We'd recommend using Chrome as your browser for the task.
Focus on a fragment of the map where you want to measure the distance. For convenience, you can switch between satellite / map views:
- Right-click on the point from which you want to start measuring the distance and select the "Measure distance" option from the menu that appears.
- Use the left mouse button to draw a route by clicking on the map. You can draw paths on streets, avenues, through routes, ignoring houses and so on.
Zoom in and out on the map as needed while plotting the path. This will help you build the route more accurately.
The actual distance will be displayed in a box at the bottom of the browser. The calculation is done in meters and feet.
- If you need to edit the path, just delete the extra point by clicking on it.
- In addition to building a route from point A to point B, you can also close the route (i.e. return to the starting point from another point on the route).The distance box will be updated with the corresponding value.
Calculating distance on Android or iOS
If you use Google Maps on your phone most of the time, the way you calculate the distance is similar to how it is described above.
The "ruler" works like this:
- Open the Google Maps app which is installed in Android out of the box.
Zoom in and focus on the location from which you want to draw the ruler.
Tap and hold on the point on the map where you want to measure the distance. A red "pin" will appear at that location.
A white bar will appear at the bottom of the window. Tap on it.
The "Measure distance" option will appear with the ruler image.Tap on it.
- Move the map to the desired destination and tap the "Add point" option in the bottom menu of Google Maps.
- In this way, using the points and ruler tool, you can make a route of any complexity.
- The distance will be indicated in the box at the bottom of the Google Maps app.
It is not difficult to measure the distance using Google Maps. Of course there are other ways, such as free services and applications, which we will describe in a later guide. In the comments, please share the ways you have used to measure distance.
How accurately can Google Maps measure the distance between two points?
The accuracy of the measurement varies within 2 square meters. In some situations, the accuracy of distance measurement may depend directly on the quality and accuracy of the GPS signal. On off-road terrain, the error may be 1.5 to 2% of the measured value.
Are there any alternative distance calculators besides Google Maps?
If you want to measure your distance, there are mobile apps such as MapMyWalk, RunKeeper and others. You can read more about them [here] (/apps-track-walking-distance).
In Waze, you can measure the distance from point A to point B, use search and function Set as start point.
Is it possible to track distance between points on Google Maps via browser?
Yes, it is. The principle of measurement is not different from the way used in the mobile app.
Here's a quick way to do it:
- Click on any available area of the map.
- Select the Measure distance function from the context menu.
- Add an end point by left-clicking on it.
- A ruler with a scale will appear on which the distance in km or miles will be indicated.
How do I measure the distance of a complex route on Google Maps?
To do this, just use the Measure distance item in the context menu. Set the starting point for the measured distance, then draw a line or a route by clicking with the left mouse button on the Google Maps map. The virtual ruler will show the total length of the distance between points.
Can you use the measure tool to know the length of a lap or round trip?
- Step 1. Open the ruler tool through the Measure distance menu item.
- Step 2. Draw a circle using the left mouse button.
- Step 3. Connect the start point and the end point.
- Step 4. Look at the status bar or the ruler to see the total distance from one point to the other.
Ilia is a professional writer. He has expert knowledge in GPS and cartography with 15 years of experience. Additionally, Ilia has extensive experience in data recovery on PC and mobile. He started his career as a journalist by reviewing PC and mobile apps. His current responsibilities are to keep track of users' questions on MGT and answer them.