The mobile app Google Maps is often used to make simple and complex routes between points. This function (called "ruler") is useful for travelers, cyclists, and pedestrians alike.
However, there are situations when it is necessary to measure the distance between cities, streets, houses and other objects quickly and accurately. Fortunately, Google Maps service has such a feature! In this step-by-step guide, we'll look at how to measure the distance between coordinates through the browser on your PC, via Android or iPhone.
How to measure distance between points on a PC
Open Google Maps service through your browser - https://www.google.com/maps. I'd recommend to use Chrome.
Focus on a fragment of the map where you want to measure the distance. For convenience, you can switch between satellite / map views:
- Right-click on the point from which you want to measure the distance to the end point and select "Measure distance" option.
- Use the left mouse button to draw a route by clicking on the map. You can draw paths on streets, avenues, through routes, ignoring houses and so on.
- Zoom in and out the map while plotting the path - this will help you build the route more accurately.
- The actual distance will be displayed in a box at the bottom of the browser, the calculation is done in meters and feet.
- If you need to edit the path, just delete the extra point by clicking on the it.
- In addition to building a route from point A to point B, you can also close the route - then the distance box will be updated with the corresponding value.
Measuring distance between points on Android or iOS
If you use Google Maps on your phone most of the time, the way you calculate the distance is about the same way we described above.
The "ruler" works like this:
- Open the Google Maps app which is installed in Android out of the box.
Zoom in and focus on the location from which you want to draw the ruler.
Tap and hold on the point on the map where you want to measure the distance. A red "pin" will appear at that location.
A white bar will appear at the bottom of the window. Tap on it.
Then select "Measure distance" with the ruler image, tap on it.
- Move the map with the sighting point to the desired destination and tap "Add point" option in the bottom menu of the Google Maps.
- In this way, using the points and ruler tool, you can make a route of any complexity.
- The distance will be indicated in the box at the bottom of the Google Maps app.
It is not difficult to measure the distance using Google Maps. Of course there are other ways, free services and applications. Later we will add the guide. For now we offer to share in the comments your ways to measure the distance on the map.