- Published on
- Updated on
How to create alternative (optimal) route in Google Maps on Android
Google Maps is a widely known free service that facilitates navigation on Android and iOS. The user has access to free satellite maps and images of cities and countries, streets, landmarks. The app can be used as a gps-navigator and a guide to the roads. There is no need to pay for the functions as they are free to use.
From the guide you will learn how to create an optimal route or find out alternative routes via a Chrome browser, mobile app.
Table of Contents
How to create a route: two ways
Google Maps is designed to help you plan convenient and optimal routes. Travelers, pedestrians, cyclists, and motorists use this feature.
Google Maps will offer several routes to choose from. They differ in distance and time. The Google Maps algorithm does not always offer the best option, but errors are possible in any GPS nav app.
First, let's see how to build a route in the browser on your computer or mobile device.
See also: How to use Google Maps in offline mode
Step 1. Go to Google Maps in your browser
To display navigation maps and choose a route, you need a stable and fast Internet connection. Without it, you will not be able to build a route using Google Maps service.
- Visit the Google Maps service via your Chrome browser's start page.
- In the top right menu, open the Maps item.
- If the option is not available, in the address bar of the browser type
https://www.google.com/maps, so you'll follow to the Google Maps page.
Step 2. Use the Directions option in Google Maps
By default, Google Maps shows your current location.
- If your current location is not displayed, turn on Location through your browser.
- Enter the address you want to travel to into the search text box.
- Tap Directions button to enter the address you want to route to on the maps.
- Tap the Add destination button to add another destination to your trip.
- Specify how you intend to get there - by car, motorcycle, public transportation, or on foot.
Thus, on the top line you specify the address of departure. At the bottom, respectively - the approximate coordinates of the completion of the journey. These can be exact or approximate coordinates. House and street, city, country, zip code, etc.
The more details the more accurate and faster the route will be built.
Step 3. Study the route
- All the routes will be displayed on the Google Maps with traffic jams and road accidents. You will also see approximate time for overcoming the distance.
- If necessary, switch between Google Maps display modes. Satellite, Terrain, Traffic, Transit, and other views are available.
How to create a route via the Google Maps app
You can use the Google Maps mobile app to create a route in Google Maps through Android or iPhone.
Actually, the Google Maps app is installed on Android OS. If you don't have it, the app from Play Market. The most convenient way to update the already installed version.
See also: Download Google Maps on Android
Google Maps is a very convenient app for route guidance, navigation, and reference information. We would recommend Google Maps first of all to pedestrians and tourists.
Car drivers can safely use the mobile app Maps on Android, but there are many strong competitors, we also advise to pay attention to them.
Can I create a custom route in Google Maps app on iOS or Android?
Yes, the mobile version of the app has this option. In order to create a custom route, follow the steps below:
- Launch the Google Maps app;
- Go to Your places by tapping the avatar icon;
- Open the Maps tab;
- Tap the Create Map button;
- Create a custom route based on your preferences.
By the way, a detailed instruction on how to create a custom route is available in the current article.
Does Google Maps have a built-in route planner?
Yes, there's an excellent route planner integrated into the Maps app.
If you need to create a simple route with a few stops, that would be a great solution. Route planner is able to forecast traffic situations, takes into account weather conditions, and works in offline mode (if you save the route beforehand). Also, route planner in Google Maps uses neural networks.
How do I quickly create a custom route in the Maps mobile app?
To create a custom route, do the following steps:
- Open the Maps mobile app
- Enter the address of the end point of the route or mark it on the map
- Tap Directions to create a route
- Tap Driving
- In the upper corner, tap More and select Route options
- If necessary, apply the settings to avoid toll roads.
- Follow the set route.
Can you add multiple stops to a route using the Google Maps app on iOS?
Yes, you can. To add multiple stops:
- Open the Google Maps app on iOS.
- Tap the Directions button.
- Specify two points: a start point and an end point.
- Tap the Add button.
- Add a stop by selecting a point on the map or manually specifying the coordinates.
- Tap on the lined path to create a route on the map.
- If necessary, add other stops.
How many stops can I add to Google Maps?
The maximum number of stops is nine. After you specify the end point, you able to add nine stops from the starting point. You can do this through the Google Maps mobile app or in the web version.
Ilia is a professional writer. He has expert knowledge in GPS and cartography with 15 years of experience. Additionally, Ilia has extensive experience in data recovery on PC and mobile. He started his career as a journalist by reviewing PC and mobile apps. His current responsibilities are to keep track of users' questions on MGT and answer them.