Google Maps (Google Maps) is a widely known free service that facilitates navigation on Android and iOS. The user has access to free satellite maps and images of cities and countries, streets, landmarks. The application can be used as a gps-navigator and a guide to the roads. There is no need to pay for the functions as they are free to use.
From the guide you will learn how to create a route or find out alternative routes via a Chrome browser or mobile app.
Table of Contents
How to create a route: two ways
Google Maps is designed to help you plan convenient and optimal routes. Travelers, pedestrians, cyclists, and motorists use this feature.
Google Maps will offer several routes to choose from. They differ in distance and time. The Google Maps algorithm does not always offer the best option, but errors are possible in any GPS nav app.
First, let's see how to build a route in the browser on your computer or mobile device.
Step 1. Go to Google Maps in your browser
To display navigation maps, you need a stable and fast Internet connection. Without it, you will not be able to build a route using Google Maps service.
- Visit the Google Maps service via your Chrome browser's start page.
- In the top right menu, open the Maps item.
- If the option is not available, in the address bar of the browser type
https://www.google.com/maps, so you'll follow to the Google Maps page.
Step 2. Use the Directions option in Google Maps
By default, Google Maps shows your current location.
- If your current location is not displayed, turn on Location through your browser.
- Enter the address you want to travel to into the search text box.
- Tap Directions button to enter the address you want to route to on the maps.
- Tap the Add destination button to add another destination to your trip.
- Specify how you intend to get there - by car, motorcycle, public transportation, or on foot.
Thus, on the top line you specify the address of departure. At the bottom, respectively - the approximate coordinates of the completion of the journey. These can be exact or approximate coordinates. House and street, city, country, zip code, etc.
The more details the more accurate and faster the route will be built.
Step 3. Study the route
- All the routes will be displayed on the Google Maps with traffic jams and road accidents. You will also see approximate time for overcoming the distance.
- If necessary, switch between Google Maps display modes. Satellite, Terrain, Traffic, Transit, and other views are available.
How to create a route via the Google Maps app
You can use the Google Maps mobile app to build a route through your Android or iPhone.
Actually, the Google Maps app is installed on Android OS. If you don't have it, the app from Play Market. The most convenient way to update the already installed version.
Step 1. Open Maps app by taping the icon Step 2. Turn on your GPS to calculate your current location
Step 3. On the map, select the desired location you want to get to or enter details in the search.
Step 4. Tap the Directions button at the bottom of the screen
Step 5. Specify the method of travel: by car, public transport, or on foot.
Step 6. The map will display a list of routes, time, and distance to your destination. Step 7. You can choose an alternative route by taping on it. Step 8. In order to build another route, mark the destination on Google Maps. Time and distance will be updated.
Google Maps is a very convenient app for route guidance, navigation, and reference information. We would recommend Google Maps first of all to pedestrians and tourists.
Car drivers can safely use the mobile application Maps on Android, but there are many strong competitors, we also advise to pay attention to them.
Ilia is a professional writer. He has expert knowledge in GPS and cartography with 15 years of experience. Additionally, Ilia has extensive experience in data recovery on PC and mobile. He started his career as a journalist by reviewing PC and mobile apps. His current responsibilities are to keep track of users' questions on MGT and answer them.