Designed to work on modern smartphones and tablets compass apps have gained great popularity among travelers, athletes and outdoor enthusiasts. Land navigation doesn't require an additional device anymore since you already have everything you need on your smartphone which you're certain to always have with you.
Further you'll find compasses which have received high marks in Google Play store:
- Smart Compass
- Digital Compass
- 3D Compass Plus
- Compass (AwesomeDev)
- Compass Pro (GPS Dragon)
- Digital Compass
- Compass (PixelProse SARL)
Smart Compass app is included in Smart Tools, but it can be installed separately from the full package. The compass uses a magnetic sensor for operation, and most of its capabilities require Internet connection.
Among the main features of Smart Compass we can highlight:
- Applying a compass on an image taken with your mobile camera;
- Using built in your phone GPS sensor;
- Metal detector: it transmits data on the strength of the magnetic field at your device location in real time.
In order to improve the accuracy of Smart Compass readings, we suggest performing GPS calibration.
An enhanced paid version of Smart Compass is available in Play Store. It can:
- determine the current coordinates of your device via GPS
- send them via email or SMS
- adjust the speed of sensor data capturing
Moreover, Smart Compass paid version has no ads and it doesn't require Internet connection.
Digital Compass app by Axiomatic Inc is a simple and handy navigation tool which isn't overloaded with unnecessary functions. It has everything a robust compass needs:
- Capability to determine latitude, longitude and address;
- A built-in map from Google Maps which helps to navigate the land;
- Options of route building: focusing on the data captured with the magnetic field sensor / working with Internet data.
The app provides the following additional features:
- level meter tilt,
- data on the current state of the sensors.
Calibration is carried out when it's necessary to improve the accuracy of data (it's a standard "eight" you have to make with your device).
3D Compass Plus
The key feature of 3D Compass Plus app is the display of an arrow in Augmented Reality Mode. The compass works with your device camera directly by showing the direction: either on a built-in Google map or right on the screen when viewfinder is running.
Other app features:
- Recording a video with all relevant data such as direction, degrees, speed, coordinates, etc.;
- Adding information to image Exif tags when taking a screenshot;
- Supporting marine compass and artificial horizon.
Almost all the functional features are available in the program free version but they're partially covered with advertising. Accordingly, there is no ads in the paid version.
The standard feature set of Compass apps from AwesomeDev developer includes everything you need for navigating:
- Support of magnetic sensor and real-time magnetic field measurement;
- Date and current time, as well as the exact coordinates calculated by GPS;
- Minimalistic interface designed to lessen battery consumption and simplify the perception of data from the device screen.
The following features will be useful for drivers and cyclists:
- multiple map display modes,
- data on weather in the current location,
- capability to build complex routes.
Compass Pro (GPS Dragon)
Compass Pro offers good functionality for professional travelers. The app displays on the screen all the relevant information, for example, current coordinates, direction, latitude, longitude, course, etc.
The key features of Compass Pro:
- Calculating coordinates according to magnetic fields, GPS-sensor and Internet data;
- Capability to switch between true and magnetic north;
- Working with the device camera: notes with data on images, 30x zoom and a flashlight;
- Data on weather in the location region: temperature, pressure and humidity;
- Sending data via SMS.
Digital Compass developers claim that their app provides users with the most accurate information on their current location. The software uses data from all available sensors (gyroscope, magnetometer and accelerometer), as well as Internet data for improving the accuracy of coordinates.
Among its key features we want to highlight the following:
- Regular measurements of the magnetic field power around your device;
- Display of sensor status data and the capability of additional calibration taking into account the environment;
- Determining longitude, latitude, altitude, address, etc.
Tip: We recommend to avoid any magnetic interference while using the app, for example, electronic devices (laptop or external battery). If the program distorts data, you can calibrate each available sensor.
Compass (PixelProse SARL)
PixelProse SARL product actively uses the magnetic data and this is what distinguishes it from the other counterparts. The app works with the geographical north, takes into account the current location of your device and its surrounding interferences which allows to show the most accurate data. Keep it in mind when working with the app since the magnetic north which is used as the main one in most similar programs, can deviate from the geographical north up to 20 degrees.
Other features of Compass app:
- The program is completely free and it has no ads or blocked features;
- All available sensors operate in order to improve data accuracy;
- Simple design, not overloaded with unnecessary information.
Important note: You should regularly calibrate the sensors for the correct operation of the app due to the magnetic environment around the device greatly affecting the accuracy of the coordinates and other displayed data.
The app can be installed on both internal memory and SD card.