- Published on
- Updated on
How to disable CarPlay on iPhone / car head unit
Table of Contents
CarPlay is a navigation app that has its advantages and disadvantages. Thanks to its navigation system, you can drive your car without being distracted by unnecessary notifications and following the Siri assistant's directions.
There are three methods to disable CarPlay on an iPhone or car head unit.
Top reasons to disable CarPlay
- CarPlay is not used for a long time
- Every unauthorized launch of the app on the head unit annoys the driver
- CarPlay replacement / good alternative found
- CarPlay interferes with the use of infotainment system in the car
- There are problems receiving calls on the mobile device
There are no obvious ways to temporarily disable CarPlay while driving or simply through the iOS settings. However, we do suggest you look at the following methods.
Method 1: via iOS settings: Forget Car
- Open main settings screen: Settings > General
- Go to CarPlay item.
- Under Your Car, locate Forget This Car.
- Use the Forget This Car option to disable CarPlay.
- Using this option will only activate CarPlay on an individual car
- The CarPlay app will be able to be opened on another car
- There will be a regular notification asking if you want to use CarPlay in the future.
Way 2: Disable via the car settings
There are Carplay in the car's settings. However, you can only access them if you know which section they are in. You can find this out through your car's manual.
Most car manufacturers have this option in the main head unit settings. For example, in Ford you need to perform the following steps:
- Go to Preferences
- Select iOS device
- Turn off CarPlay or iOS device itself
Hyundai, Toyota, and other brands ask you to choose how you want to use the connection each time you connect an iOS device. You can simply choose to listen to audio or charge. In this way, the car remembers the user's choice and does not turn CarPlay on automatically. In this case, it is not necessary to disable CarPlay and perform other actions with the head unit or iPhone.
- The most reliable way to turn off Carplay
- No need to uninstall Carplay
- Every car has different settings. So you have to spend time reading the manual
Way 3: Using Content & Privacy Restrictions
You can disable CarPlay in your car using Screen Time. Screen Time is a Parental control tool for iOS. With this utility, you can control the access rights and eventually limit the use of CarPlay.
Step 1. Go to Settings > Screen Time.
Step 2. Go to Turn On Screen Time > Content & Privacy Restrictions.
Step 3. Under Allowed Apps (you may be required to enter a Screen Time passcode to enter the section).
Step 4. Locate the app and CarPlay and disable it using the slider.
Step 5. Close settings screen and connect your iPhone to the car to apply the changes.
- The most reliable way to disable Carplay
- Forceful way (it will be difficult to turn Carplay back on if you don't remember the sequence of actions)
TLTR: how to turn off Apple Carplay in car
Each method has its own advantages and disadvantages, so it is important to read the manual and understand the settings before disabling CarPlay.
The first method is to use the iOS settings to forget the car.
The second method is to disable it via the car settings, which can be found in the car's manual.
The third method is to use Content & Privacy Restrictions in Screen Time.
Ilia is a professional writer. He has expert knowledge in GPS and cartography with 15 years of experience. Additionally, Ilia has extensive experience in data recovery on PC and mobile. He started his career as a journalist by reviewing PC and mobile apps. His current responsibilities are to keep track of users' questions on MGT and answer them.