Do you think about how much distance you walk each day? If you want to lose weight or are on a diet, the answer is probably 'yes'.
Calculating your distance walked can be useful if you are planning a trip, hiking or hiking.
In any case, there are many ways to measure your distance, and today we will cover the most convenient ones. These are free services and mobile apps (for Android and iOS) to calculate walking distance.
At mapometer.com you'll find a detailed map of almost every country. By selecting the desired country and region, it is easy to create a route for running, cycling and walking. Mapometer calculates your distance run and calories burned based on the route you follow. In addition to distance, Mapometer takes into account elevation.
If you want to save your results, you need to register on the website. You can also measure your distance without registering.
Here are further instructions on how to measure walking distance on phone:
- Go to https://www.mapometer.com/
- Select the desired country and enlarge the area on the map to the desired size
- In the left side column click on the Start button and set a point on the map
- Add additional intermediate points on the map if you want to measure distances in other areas
- When you are finished, press the Stop button
- In the left side column, in the Route information, select the way of travel
- Distance and Energy (the number of calories spent) will be displayed below
- To save the route you need to click on the Save button.
- The service is free.
- Convenient and detailed maps
- Ability to save the result
- Can't record results in real time
- Site is only usable on a desktop
See also: Best GPS apps for walking directions
Pedometers are special walking distance measurement apps. They are available for both iOS and Android. As a rule, pedometers are free, but some features (extra offline maps, saving routes) charge a fee.
As an example, we'll look at the Step Tracker app.
Its main features:
- Counting steps, travelled distance, walking speed or changes in the body weight of a user in real time.
- Warming up before a walk.
- Inviting friends and competing with them in the number of taken steps.
- Creating an individual action plan which includes the duration of walks, the length of distance and the change in weight and monitoring your progress.
- Tracking the habits and health status of a user.
- Receiving notifications while using the pedometer.
In order to measure distance walked:
- Download Step Tracker
- Run the app
- Select one of the two possible modes: Counting the steps taken per day or Action plan.
- The counter automatically records the number of made moves and provides information of high accuracy in a graphical form.
- Free to use.
- Large selection of similar applications
- Low accuracy of distance measurement
One of the best services for measuring walking distance is MapMyWalk. With its help, you can create routes of varying complexity. The MapMyWalk includes detailed maps which can be exported and saved in a convenient format.
By the way, there is a mobile walking map app MapMyWalk, it is convenient for calculating the walking distance covered as well.
- Detailed maps with walking routes
- Low cost
- Need to create routes in advance
Devices like GPS Watches are great for calculating distance traveled. Garmin, Apple Watch, Samsung, Fitbit, and other brands are great choices for athletes and beginners.
You don't need a mobile phone to collect data. To calculate the length of the route, speed, number of steps uses GPS and built-in capabilities of a smart watch.
How to count the distance covered:
- Wear a smart watch on your arm
- Chech and apply basic settings
- Activate step counting
- Check the distance traveled
GPS Watch Pros
- Easy to use
- No detailed setup required
- Accuracy of distance measurement
GPS Watch Cons
- Relatively high cost
- Rapidly drains battery when actively used
A fitness tracker is a special device that is attached to your wrist. As a rule, the tracker is synchronized with a mobile app. However, there are also standalone devices, they do not require a smartphone.
To calculate your distance with a fitness tracker you need to:
- Define a step length and enter it into the profile in the app's settings
- Activate step counting on the fitness tracker
- Walk with an even step to collect statistics correctly
- Results will be available in the stats
Disadvantages of the method:
- Step count is very approximate, it is worth using only for the tentative estimate of the distance
- Requires the presence of the fitness tracker itself
- In addition to everything, the fitness tracker measures the parameters important for health monitoring
- Relatively inexpensive fitness tracker
Ilia is a professional writer. He has expert knowledge in GPS and cartography with 15 years of experience. Additionally, Ilia has extensive experience in data recovery on PC and mobile. He started his career as a journalist by reviewing PC and mobile apps. His current responsibilities are to keep track of users' questions on MGT and answer them.