Apple devices owners while traveling often face the need to navigate their location and this is when navigation apps step in.
Each of them has its own unique features that might not be useful for pedestrians or might be unnecessary for drivers. Let's talk about the most popular navigation apps for devices running under iOS.
Apple Maps app is preinstalled by default on all devices running under iOS version 6 and above (maps by Google have been used previously). Due to the fact that this app is released exclusively for iOS, it's unavailable for any other operating system.
Key features of the gps app:
- All Apple Maps features are absolutely free since the app is included in the basic set of programs
- Capability to map a route avoiding driving along toll roads
- While following the created route on the screen you can see the speed limit on the route specific parts
This app can be used offline as all the maps are cached and are shown correctly, even if there is no internet connection on your device. Nevertheless, we recommend building an itinerary while you still have unlimited access to networks as thus maps will be more informative and have more details. Apple Maps can also be used when GPS navigation is enabled but without internet access and it will be more than enough for mapping a route.
Apple Maps contain information on roads around the whole globe. The only limitation is 3D-panorama mode which is available only in the major cities of the United States, Canada, Australia, the UK and some Western European countries.
The app provides detailed voice support offering nuanced explanation of exactly where to turn and which road to choose at the fork. The maps also show large establishments and gas stations, as well as information on public transport routes.
The main feature of Waze maps is the active participation of users in the app performance. For example, if you know for sure that there is traffic jam or repair works on a certain section of a road, you can report it via the app and this information will be updated in real time, so that other road users will choose to rebuild their routes due to the received information. The app is completely free and available for iOS and Android users.
What differs Waze from other apps for navigation:
- The capability to communicate with other users directly via the app, as well as to share routes, create meetings and track movements via maps;
- The app users are involved in the process of maps creation by alerting to important events on roads;
- This navigation app is aimed at the youth and it combines a navigator and a game mode: for helping to inform other drivers you'll get points and ranks and complete levels which adds an interactive aspect.
Waze can work in offline mode, but it will perform only the navigator features and provide no information on traffic. Besides, the program works well even with slow or discontinued internet.
Waze uses its own maps in combination with geodata by Google, so the app will help you to find a route almost in any part of the world. It voices everything that is happening and allows you to record your options for voice messages.
Waze maps show traffic jam and information from other users such as current prices on gasoline at popular gas stations.
A free iphone navigation app MAPS.ME is available for download to the owners of devices running under iOS, Android and Blackberry. This app uses OpenStreetMap maps which can be edited by any user.
The key features of MAPS.ME:
- Its main focus is on working in offline mode so internet connection is required only for downloading the maps of a selected area;
- Free download of offline country guides is available (though this feature is absent from the basic version of the program);
- Capability to build a route for drivers, cyclists or pedestrians.
MAPS.ME has a simple interface without unnecessary elements since the main features of the app are maps and navigator. The program has a voice assistant alerting to possible dangers on roads and upcoming turns.
The map displays all the necessary information on infrastructure such as the nearest hotels, cafes and shops. In its online version the data on travel conditions (accidents, traffic jam and etc.) is also updated.
Here Maps navigator app which has been originally developed for devices running under Windows Phone is now called Here WeGo and is available for for iPhone and Android users. The app is distributed free of charge and allows its users to edit maps and update information on different locations.
The advantages of Here Maps gps app:
- 3D mode is available in some cities
- The presence of "offline" mode when only GPS is involved (when this mode is enabled the nearby institutions aren't displayed)
- Automatic download of subway and tram itineraries in all supported cities
According to the developers, voice prompts work in 96 countries and information on traffic conditions is available only in 63 countries.
When you click on a specific building, you will receive full information on the institutions located there and will be able to map a route to the specified point.
Citymapper is a free navigation app for iphone (iOS) and Android which is suitable for anyone who prefers public transport to a private car.
The important distinctive features of Citymapper:
- The gps apps collects data on public transport itineraries from carriers and ordinary users, so it's always up to date on iPhone.
- Citymapper takes into account different ways of getting around the city, for example, the program can tell you how long you will have to wait for Uber to travel on the specified route or it can make a plan for your bike trip.
- Capability to create links containing the coordinates of a specified point and send them via social networks or e-mail.
The gps app main focus is on hiking and cycling routes so various places located nearby aren't shown. In order to be able to get to the desired point you have to know its address. Accordingly, there are no voice prompts since pedestrians don't need them.