This guide will help:
- Find out the exact coordinates of any point / place on the map,
- Find a location by coordinates by latitude / longitude.
According to the GPS-navigator data, you can easily navigate on any map, in any conditions. There are many services and applications that allow you to find places by geographic coordinates. Here are the best of them:
Go to the official website Maps & Directions to find the exact gps coordinates of a place or location. Also, you can easily select the desired location and see its latitude and longitude.
The service is very easy to understand, it includes an option to zoom in on the map and the ability to share your location online with other people.
In addition, Maps & Directions allows you to determine the coordinates of your location on the map for free - with just one click. Click on "Find my coordinates" - the service will immediately put a marker and determine the latitude and longitude of the place.
On the Map & Directions website you can:
- measure the distance between cities or the regions,
- calculate the shortest route between given points,
- create a map using Google Maps tools,
- find a location by gps coordinates,
- calculate the travel time of a pedestrian / bicycle / car.
The service will be useful for travelers, motorists and curious users.
Mapcoordinates.net allows you to find out the coordinates of a specified point in any region of the world. The service is integrated with Google Maps. It has a simplified interface that allows it to be used even by unprepared users.
How to use Mapcoordinates:
- Open Search bar.
- Enter the address of the place, the latitude and longitude of which you want to get.
- The map with the coordinates will appear along with the marker at the desired location.
- The latitude, longitude, and elevation of the selected point will be displayed above the marker.
Unfortunately, Mapcoordinates.net is not suitable for determining a point by latitude and longitude. However, it is a suitable tool for the reverse procedure (i.e. searching by coordinates).
If you prefer to use Google Maps directly, this guide may be useful for you. The process of searching for coordinates via Google Maps is a bit more complicated than in the previously described methods.
To find out the exact coordinates of the place, follow the following simple instructions:
- Open Google Maps on your PC through the browser. It is important that advanced mode is enabled, otherwise you will not be able to get information;
- right-click on the part of the map where the place you need is located;
- In the context menu that appears, select the "What's here"?
- Look at the tab that appears at the bottom of the screen. It will display the latitude, longitude of the location.
To determine a location based on known geographic coordinates, you'll need a different method:
- Open Google Maps in full mode on your computer;
- In the search bar at the top of the screen, enter the coordinates. Degrees, Minutes, and Seconds; Degrees and Decimal Minutes; and Decimal Degrees are allowed;
- Press the "Enter" key and a special marker appears on the map at the desired location.
The most important thing when using Google Maps is to enter geographic coordinates correctly. The service recognizes only a few data formats, so be sure to take into account the following input rules:
- When entering degrees, use the special symbol: "°" rather than "d";
- Use a dot, not a comma, as a separator between the integer and fractional parts, otherwise the search string will not be able to give the location;
- First you specify the latitude, then the longitude. The first parameter should be written in the range from "-90" to "90", the second - from "-180" to "180".
Finding a special symbol on the PC keyboard is difficult; you also need to put quite a lot of effort.
Therefore, it is easier to use special services, the best of which we cited above.
Sometimes you need to find a place by coordinates on your mobile phone. The Google Maps mobile application for Android platform will help to resolve the issue.
Usually it is used for planning or finding out the schedule of public transport. The app is also suitable for finding the location of the point or place.
You can download the application on Android on official page on Google Play. After installing the app, follow the instructions below for getting gps coordinates:
- Open Google Maps on your device and wait for the map to appear;
- Find the place you are interested in. Hold a tap until a special marker appears;
- A tab will appear at the top of the screen with a search box and coordinates of the location;
- If you need to find a place by coordinates, the way on a mobile device is no different from the desktop version (see above).
Google Maps app allows you to explore the place in detail, find the exact coordinates, or vice versa. It is a convenient way for tourists and motorists alike.