Mobile apps is a great helping hand if navigating isn't your forte. In fact, it's quite easy to get lost in big cities and it'll be pretty difficult to go without a navigation app or map.
The map of Moscow subway can seem very confusing at the beginning. You'll have to spend time trying to figure out which line is the one you have to transfer at and which variant is the most favorable for you.
In our today's review we've gathered the best apps to find out how to get somewhere in Moscow by subway fast and conveniently.
Yandex.Metro – subway map and calculation of travel time
Yandex.Metro allows to:
- build the most convenient route by subway;
- calculate the approximate time spent on the road (taking into account transfer stops and transitions through tunnels);
- receive information on the stations or transition tunnels between stations closed for renovation;
- choose the most suitable exits to the needed streets;
- figure out the number of transfers you'll have to make;
- pay travel fare, deposit funds to such transport cards as "Strelka" and "Troika".
How to use the Yandex.Metro app
- First of all, download the app;
- Open Yandex.Metro;
- Tap the settings icon looking like a gear;
- Select a city from the list by ticking it;
- Tap the arrow and go back;
- Specify the "Where from" and "Where to" points and then the route should be built with all the required data provided;
- For convenience and time saving reasons, you can configure the filling of "From" and "To" by tapping a station in the settings. In order to do this, enable the "Select stations by touch" feature.
In order to read route details open the "Details" link at the bottom of the screen. The information on a route via subway includes:
- data on time spent travelling;
- the need to transfer;
- tips on choosing a particular carriage in order to save time, as well as alternative variants (f.ex. taxi) for faster transportation
The advantages of the app are the following:
- accessibility – it can be used by people with visual impairments.
- the interactive Moscow subway map is adapted for TalkBack mode.
- support of other cities subway maps: Baku, Minsk, Vienna, Yerevan, Budapest, Athens, Tbilisi, Milan, Warsaw, Almaty, etc.
Among the app disadvantages some Play Market users note the presence of advertising content.
You can install Yandex.Metro for free by clicking this link.
Moscow Metro (official app)
The official Moscow subway map developed by Moscow metro service. The app allows you to:
- Build the necessary route across Moscow and its region.
- Get up-to-date information on the changes in the subway working schedule and stations closed for repair work.
- Calculate the approximate travel fare.
- Deposit money to the transport card "Troika".
- Stay aware of all unexpectedly popped-up issues on your way in real time.
- Familiarize yourself with the historical background of stations.
How to use the Moscow Metro app
- Launch the app. The main features, including notifications (shown at the bottom of the screen) will be displayed on the screen of your device.
- The subway map can be zoomed in via the movements of two fingers.
- Specify the departure ("From") and destination ("To") points. The subway map will show the route. If more than one option is available, all of them will be displayed with the difference in travel time shown.
- You can also specify the departure and destination points by tapping "From" – "To" correspondingly above the name of the selected stations.
- Along with the route itself, additional information will be displayed, including the availability of parking lots and the number of free spaces there, as well as the numbers of suitable land transport for travelling around the city.
- If you tap the "i" letter next to the station name, the program will display its historical data.
Among the advantages of the Moscow Metro service we can highlight the following:
- the presence of fare calculator;
- the opportunity to find out more about the sightseeing points of the city and build a route to and from them;
- accessibility for people with mobile impairments;
- absence of advertising content.
The Moscow Metro app is available for download via the link.
"Metro and MCC" - Moscow subway map
The Metro and MCC app is rather a guide around Moscow subway than a navigation app. In particular, it allows to:
- Use the map of a station in order to exit right to your destination.
- Choose the options for transferring between Moscow subway stations.
- Study the maps of railway stations and long-distance train stops.
- Schedule an appointment with someone at a particular subway exit.
Among the advantages of the Metro and MCC app some users highlight:
- The capability of the app to run in the background mode.
- Automatic updates if any changes are made to the subway map.
The main disadvantage of this program can be called the fact that it isn't designed for building routes.
You can download the app here.
"Moscow metro" – audio guide for tourists
This software is a mobile guide around Moscow subway. With its help you can get information on:
- the history of Moscow subway construction;
- the way its stations looked initially;
- various interesting facts,
- view many photos from different periods of Moscow subway history.
The app advantages are as follows:
- the opportunity to turn an ordinary trip by subway into an interesting excursion;
- simple and intuitive interface.
How to use the audio guide
- Download the app from Google Play by tapping this link.
- Grant the utility the access to your device.
- The app may show a notification warning against its large size and suggest using Wi-Fi for the download. We recommend accepting the suggestion in order to save your mobile Internet traffic.
- Launch the installed program.
- On the main page select the recording you want to listen and tap the "Play" button.
pMetro for Android
A minimalistic navigation app which has the subway maps of more than a hundred different cities, including Moscow. The app supports the following features:
- Helping with the navigation in a subway.
- Building the shortest route to your destination.
- Calculating the time spent on the road.
- Showing the maps of stations and general plan of the subway.
- Providing the capability to select the waiting time of a train (f. ex. a day or night).
The app advantages are as follows:
- no advertising content;
- capability to work with subway maps downloaded directly from the http:/pmetro.su website;
- 3D layouts of most stations;
- capability to create custom routes;
- handbook with land transport timetables;
- multilingual interface.
The fact that the service is only available for the operating system of Android 4.1 and above can be called its main disadvantage. Moreover, the program is unable to count the time for fast trains, so the travel time estimated by the app may differ from the real one.
How to use it
- Download pMetro and open the app;
- In order to select a map, you have to specify its name in the search bar (f.ex. pMetro Moscow) or manually find it in the list.
- The first finger tap on the map will set your departure station, when the second – the arrival station. All subsequent taps will change the destination station.
- In order to change the initial station, you have to tap an empty space or change the parameter via the app settings menu (the command is called "Clear").
- You can also set the start station via the context menu.
- You can find a station by its name by typing it in the search bar.
- The "Show time" command will calculate the journey time from and to each station.