Audi MMI allows you to connect Apple Carplay without the need for a USB cable. This feature is available for Audi vehicles manufactured after 2017.
👉 Check if your car is supported by Carplay
Therefore, if you want to connect Carplay to Audi wirelessly, it is not difficult to do so. To do so, follow these instructions.
Table of Contents
Step 1. Check your iOS version
Make sure you're using iOS 9.1 or higher on your iPhone. If you have an older version of iOS installed on your mobile device, it is likely that Carplay will not be able to connect to Audi MMI.
Step 2: First connection via USB cable
Note. Even though you plan to use wireless connection, you will need a good quality USB cable for the first step of connecting Carplay to Audi.
Connect the USB Lightning cable of your iPhone and the USB port of your Audi car.
Wait until you are prompted whether to use Wireless Carplay in the car in the future.
Tap the Enable Wireless Carplay button to confirm your choice. This way, you will not need to use the USB cable the next time you use Carplay in your Audi.
Step 3: Enable Wifi and Bluetooth
- Unlock your iPhone.
- Turn on Wifi and Bluetooth.
These technologies are required to use Carplay "over the air" - that is, Wirelessly.
Step 4. Start the car's engine
Start the engine of your Audi vehicle so that Carplay can be initiated via the head unit (Audi MMI). Carplay may no longer work correctly if the engine is turned off.
Step 5: Connect iPhone to Audi MMI
- After waiting for the head unit to turn on, go to the Phone section.
- Tap the Connect mobile device button.
- From the list of available wireless devices, select iPhone or select the line with the name of the mobile device on which Carplay is running.
Step 6: Synchronize devices
- Wait for the pin code used for pairing to appear on the iPhone and head unit.
- If the codes match, tap the Pair button on the iPhone screen and wait for the devices to synchronize.
Step 7: Synchronize contacts
If you want to synchronize contacts from your phone and use them to make calls through Audi MMI, tap on the Allow button. You do not have to do this, however.
Step 8. Using maps and navigation
- In the next step, confirm the use of navigation by pressing the Apple Carplay and Yes, agree buttons.
- On the home screen you will see icons of available Carplay apps, among them you will find Maps and Google Maps (if they have been pre-installed).
- Other functions such as making calls, texting, listening to music and other iOS services are also available to the driver via Apple Carplay.
If you have any questions about connecting Carplay to your Audi, please read this guide. It will also help you if you encounter any errors.
Ilia is a professional writer. He has expert knowledge in GPS and cartography with 15 years of experience. Additionally, Ilia has extensive experience in data recovery on PC and mobile. He started his career as a journalist by reviewing PC and mobile apps. His current responsibilities are to keep track of users' questions on MGT and answer them.